Dust extraction sucks!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you in Belgium or is that a decoy?

I thought all Europe had 440v 3 phase.

Anyway assuming that you measure 220v between any two of your three phase wires and about 127 v between any phase wire and neutral, then the motor should be wired in delta.

I'm mystified now???

Bob

Chris_belgium":1mct2unh said:
would not":1mct2unh said:
Maybe a daft question but is it wired up right as with 3 phase - wire it wrong and they will run backwards.

I've tried it in both directions in star and delta configuration and the results we're ranging from poor to very poor :) now it's wired to run clockwise and in the delta configuration wich is I hope correct.

have you got picture of the connections? is U,V,W marked on the terminals?

9fingers":2z1h0i9a said:

Anyway assuming that you measure 220v between any two of your three phase wires and about 127 v between any phase wire and neutral, then the motor should be wired in delta.

I'm mystified now???

Bob

Yep this is exactly how it is.

Don't know about the rest of europe, but in Belgium most of the older houses have a 3x220v 32amp supply.

Have tried the extractor fan in every possible way, turning clock and anti clockwise, with only one baffle left in the box, with no baffles left in the box and in the end I just connected the 100mm hose directly to the extractor not using the dust box at all.
Still the results were imho poor, am I maybe expecting too much from dust extraction, I'm guessing 90% of the shavings are caught, is this normal or is 100% the standard?

Would investing in a HPLV vacuum type extractor give me a lot of improvement, what I really want is 1 dustbox setup with 1 extractor fan wich then can be used with large bore hose (P/T) as well as small diam hoses (router, circular saw,...)?
Any recomendations as to what vacuum typ extractor would be sufficient?

Would something like this be sufficient?
http://www.charnwood.net/ProductDesc.jsp?cat=3&stockref=W680

Chris_belgium":1rf26u2y said:
9fingers":1rf26u2y said:

I'm mystified now???

Bob

Yep this is exactly how it is.

Don't know about the rest of europe, but in Belgium most of the older houses have a 3x220v 32amp supply.

I'll have to add that to the knowledge bank. I've just had a reply from a mate in France and his house is on 3 x 440v , 230v phase to neutral as we are in UK.
Do your small domestic appliances and lighting run on the 127v then?
Presumably there are small transformers on poles each serving a few houses?

Bob

Chris_belgium":14ba4cz8 said:
...in the end I just connected the 100mm hose directly to the extractor not using the dust box at all.
Still the results were imho poor...

Sounds like you'll need a different fan and/or motor then.

PeterBassett":23apjwyy said:
Chris_belgium":23apjwyy said:
...in the end I just connected the 100mm hose directly to the extractor not using the dust box at all.
Still the results were imho poor...

Sounds like you'll need a different fan and/or motor then.

I have no experience using proper dust extraction so don't really know what to expect, could be that 90% shavings removed is about as good as it gets.

Chris_belgium":8xvce5n7 said:
Have tried the extractor fan in every possible way, turning clock and anti clockwise, with only one baffle left in the box, with no baffles left in the box and in the end I just connected the 100mm hose directly to the extractor not using the dust box at all.
Still the results were imho poor, am I maybe expecting too much from dust extraction, I'm guessing 90% of the shavings are caught, is this normal or is 100% the standard?

Would investing in a HPLV vacuum type extractor give me a lot of improvement, what I really want is 1 dustbox setup with 1 extractor fan wich then can be used with large bore hose (P/T) as well as small diam hoses (router, circular saw,...)?
Any recomendations as to what vacuum typ extractor would be sufficient?

Would something like this be sufficient?
http://www.charnwood.net/ProductDesc.jsp?cat=3&stockref=W680

I've just re-read the thread and see your impeller is 19cm not 19" as i had thought. Contrary to my earlier post, the motor power is probably well matched to the blower but is just not shifting enough air.

The HPLV type vacuums will be noisy so you might not want to run it for long periods indeed it might not even be rated for continuous duty.

Bob

Had a long day of trying different things to make the extractor work but the amount of suction loss when reducing the hose diameter is too big. For now I'm going to keep this setup only for the p/t and use a cheap vac for handheld work.

Still wondering if a proper dust extraction system eliminates all dust/chips when using a p/t or is there always a small percentage that doesn't get sucked up by the extraction system? I gues it also depends on how well designed the dust extraction hood is, etc...

Anyways, thanks a lot for all the help/advice, I wonder how people got things done a couple of decades ago without the help of the internet!

Latest posts

Back