Dust extraction on Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul24dual

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, just bought a Record Power bandsaw (Thanks Mick) and was wondering about dust extraction for it.

I see that there is a 100mm dust extraction port on the machine.

Can i use my old vacuum cleaner and how do i adapt from 100mm down?

Thanks
Paul

there are likely 2 issues you might face. Capacity and dust particle size clogging the filter. Bandsaw's create a lot of waste so unless your vac is huge, you'll be emptying it a lot. Secondly a lot of the dust will be very fine and might clog your vac's filter, quickly reducing its suction force.

Having said that, try it and see how it goes for a while, if you're not cutting that much you might get away with it. Can always upgrade.

Hi Mick, Had a quick play after work and it cuts lovely (my first time using a bandsaw) Might get more of a play tomorrow.

It was really good to meet you as well.

Can you tell me what size blade fitted at the moment?

Hi Paul
There was a thread on here some time ago where someone modified their bandsaw so that the DX take off was right at the cut, the blade actually went through the collection port. It would be worth a hunt, I think.
S

Steve Maskery":11j9qzde said:
There was a thread on here some time ago where someone modified their bandsaw so that the DX take off was right at the cut, the blade actually went through the collection port. It would be worth a hunt, I think.

Hi

Wasn't that the one where the dust extraction modification prevented the table being tilted?

For an adaptor, turn / route a flanged disc of wood to fit the 100mm port on the saw and then bore a hole in the disc to suit your vac hose.

I don't think a vac will be that efficient but if you're not doing a lot of sawing it may suffice - you'll probably have to hoover out the lower cabinet every now and then.

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back