Dust extraction Camvac or Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Wandering round Harrogate show I came across the Camvac stand. I was impressed by the relative quietness(although it was abig hall) and the 0.5 micron filtration. The small size of the unit appealed too. Suction was impessive compared to my old twin bag extractor. I think this will fit my needs as the only machine that could require bigger than 65mm in my workshop is the thicknesser, but I think a twin motor machine should cope.
So I was getting myself geared up for a camvac and thought I would check out Axminster and came across one of these.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 460267.htm
Does anyone have experience of these are they likely to be the same motors of the same quality as camvac because it would seem to be a cheaper way of buying from axminster. Has anyone experience of trying to clear chippings from a planer with only a one motor setup of this type of machine. All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers Alan

Hi, I don't know about your workshop layout or what your budget is but it may be worth considering the Record DX5000, it has come out on top in loads of tests and is meant to be the dogs do dars!! I hope so as I have one in my dining room as my new workshop is STILL not complete.

As far as I can tell it's the same machine. The motors & filters (both pleated and paper) are identical and seem to be standard parts for the extraction industry. Even the bags are the same. I have an old draper model exactly the same again. They all must come from the same factory so just buy the cheapest one!

The Camvac imho is very noisy, especially the twin motor, and it used to block in the neck of the unit when using a thicknesser even with the 100mm inlet. And it tries to suck the bag up it's own are**&% when the bag was changed ie empty, then the chippings fouled the crossbar in the cage so the bag only half filled.

I no longer have a Camvac. :)

Hello Alan,

As you know I have got the baby wall mounted camvac. It is noisy but then all these vacs are if you ask me.

I wonder if you will need the bigger machine in your shop. Oh, and don't under estimate the cost of the ducting, which adds up if you have lots of blast gates, bends and corners.

I have my vac in a little cupboard outside the shop to reduce noise and save space. This is a good idea.

The machine has been very reliable and I like the idea that it is made locally. If there is a problem I know where to go and the people there have been very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Tony.

PS - Have you seen that large LN shoulder plane on fleebay?

Hi Tony

I hadn't seen the plane on ebay but I suspect Alex would let me have it at that price if I popped in one day :)

I reckon your idea of having the vac outside is a good one keeps the noise out of the workshop but is no worse for the neighbours than if it was in the shop. Will Angie let me though :roll:

I am really torn at the moment the camp seems split between excellent and not so good. My own impression at the show was that it sucked hard but that 65mm pipe blocked whilst we were standing there. As an amateur though does it matter? If I were professional I can see why you can't keep mucking about with stuff that isn't the earner in the business.

Proshop you say you haven't got a camvac anymore but what is your solution that beats it?

Cheers Alan

Woody Alan":ydmu0dvm said:
Hi Tony
My own impression at the show was that it sucked hard but that 65mm pipe blocked whilst we were standing there. As an amateur though does it matter? If I were professional I can see why you can't keep mucking about with stuff that isn't the earner in the business.

Proshop you say you haven't got a camvac anymore but what is your solution that beats it?

Cheers Alan
Alan, as you saw at the show the pipe blocked :( , trust me after it does it a few times you'll start to get really brassed off, and mine did it regularly with a 100mm pipe.

I got the Scheppach HA2600 with the fine 0.5 micron filter, much much quieter (induction motor) and more sucking power especially when connected to the P/T. And no plastic bag trying to disappear up the ars@&%$.. of the extractor.

I wall mounted it on some home made brackets instead of the movable stand supplied & very easy to do.

BTW, I see Record power have a very similar one to the Scheppach for less money inc 0.5 micron filter & the spec seems the same ie suction rate etc. (see D&M tools website)

Have to agree with Proshop. Record and Camvac are both noisy awkward and no fun. My main extractor is a Scheppach HA26, and its quiet, effective and easy to live with. Plus you can see when its full. unlike the tin can collectors where you have to guess, check or wait for it to scream helplessly when its filled up..... and no covering yourself in talcum powder fine dust just emptying it and changing the fliter bags as with the canister type..is a bonus
Never jad a camvac, but bought the Record twin motor 5000 tin can new, and its noisy and seems to add more sub chores rather than make life easier in the workshop.
Only reason I bought a tin can type was because I needed something to fit below the table level of a saw, on reflection would have been better buying a bag type and making a longer duct run to the saw....

Back