Dust collection, 2 queries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chems":3la0pj2u said:
Very constructive. We could probably do them for less I think easily, I'd have to have a look. Make them in bulk could work out cheaply, can easily do 110mm to 100mm and an open end to stop the dust build up.

I perfer them without an open end. I found with the axi metal ones, that open end caused a great loss of suction. In the end I taken all the gates apart and resealed them with a sealant and the difference in performance was excellent.

So chems maybe the difference to put your gates ahead of others could be a closed end that you can open without removing the gate from its location and pipes for means of cleaning. I also hate plastic gates. Broken loads of them and do not trust them at all. All mine are metal other then the 63mm stuff which isn't connected to the main extractor anyway.

The baffles in mine (see pictures in the thread I previously linked to) have holes in so when the gate is pushed to the open position the rest of the baffle goes straight through and out the other side so there's nowhere for dust to build up in any crevices, no leaks and no loss of suction. In the closed position both sides are still sealed so no loss of suction then either.

Mark

Mark, thanks for posting the pics of your BG's I have made some up, in a very similar vein to your own. The only difference bing I have a little strip of wood to make the handle rather than a hole. I figured this would prevent the gate going al the way through as I too have left the back open to clear dust when I open and close the gate.

I also saw the ali blast gates from Axminster after I had made mine so I ordered 4 just to see how they compare to my home made jobs.

They were £7.90 from Axi and £19.99 from Rutlands....go figure??

I stop/start my extractor via this cord which runs around the workshop (a bit like how the conductor rang the bell on the bus years ago) the cord is attached to an electric shower pull switch as the extractor is outside the workshop and the ducting goes through the wall.

Back