Dungaree's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snetty

Established Member
Reaction score
Lo guys, I've been lurking for a while and I've finally got a question.

Why do construction guys always seem to wear Dungaree's? I assume there must be something beyond fashion (or rather, lack of fashion) that makes people wear them.

Welcome Snetty

I suspect it is purely to look rdiculous :lol: :lol:

Of course, it could be the extra pockets that are high up on the chest where one can store ruler, pencil etc.

If the alternative is builder's buttocks, I vote for mandatory dungarees

they keep their shirts clean if the biscuit they have just dunked breaks and falls :D if it falls in the pocket then you can save it for after :shock:
plus i think one size fits all :twisted:

frank

Hi Snetty

Welcome to this forum, where you will get answers to most things.

This might be one you never expected.

THE HISTORY OF THE DENIM

In the fifties and sixties ,when I worked in the construction industry as a Joiner / shopfitter, everyone wore dungarees, they were hard wearing and fairly comfortable, when the dungarees , trousers and jackets were first bought , the first thing you did was give them a good boil wash, the reason being the material was as stiff as boards, the boiling softened them up, the only thing was you had to buy them a couple of sizes bigger than you wanted to allow for shrinking.

There was a firm in liverpool called Flemings, they offered a made to measure service in preshrunk denim, they exported to many parts of the world in the Fifties, there were factories all over the country making them for the manual workforce

Men only wore dungarees at work, whether it be in a factory or a building site.

At that time you could buy a set of dungarees ie Jacket and trousers for about 30 shillings ( £1.50 ).

Now here is the twist, some madcap design silly person, decided to make a fashion statement in the 70's and workwear became fashion wear, and then came flairs and Carnaby Street and a 95pence pair of workwear trousers started to cost an arm and a leg or about a days wages.

In these days IMHO some silly person will pay over a £100 for a pair of Denims (Dungarees) with a fancy label, in my day as a young man they were called Dungarees.

BTW I buy Denims/ Dungarees for use in my workshop or any other work around the house or on my Allotment.

I usually pay around the £8.00 mark for them, when I go out dressed up I wear a pair of slacks

8.00 for a pair of jeans Go to Tesco, £3.00 a pair in my local store at the moment.

I'll remember that when some of my 6 pair wear out

denny did you get them from the little shop opposite t j s in london rd

god im showing my age that takes me back a few years .

frank

8.00 for a pair of jeans Go to Tesco, £3.00 a pair in my local store at the moment.

Spare a thought for how they can sell them so cheap. I'd like to think the workers that produced them were paid a decent wage/ old enough / enjoy a safe working environment. But somehow I doubt one could tick all the boxes.

Tesco! ... hmmh! :evil:

Ike

They are probably made in the same factory by the same people, just one retailer makes 50p profit on each pair, while another makes £5.50.

D.

Latest posts

Back