Dumpster Dive Find 2: Oak Stool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Part 2 of 2.

I think it's Oak? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd love for someone to tell me which era this stool is from. It's absolutely gorgeous and drying out nicely. Solid & sits square perfectly. Looks like some fire damage? One foot has a bit of a bevel for some reason.

Mortice & tenons, with dowels holding them in place. Rusty foot plates which will be removed and cleaned up.

Any advice on what or what not to do would be most appreciated on this one too, please. :D

v9SH9sl.jpg

L2hVR1e.jpg

1wzJEi0.jpg

4ALABPL.jpg

D6QZhyp.jpg

qP0LgxK.jpg

Nice Find,

From the photos and experience I thing that the top is Oak and the legs Beech. How to treat it really depends on what you want it to look like when finished and what you will use it for.

Once completely dry. I have had good success with wire wool and boiled linseed oil and plenty of elbow grease. Once cleaned up to your satisfaction leave to dry for a few day then apply a coat of paste wax and buff.

This in my opinion is a good looking finish and allows you to retain the patina of the piece. Of course if you prefer you could sand it back to clean wood and varnish it. It down to your taste.

Just my 2p worth

James

Thanks James! :D

On closer inspection I think you're right about it being Oak/Beech.

It's gonna be very important to keep the character of the piece intact, so sanding it down is out of the question.

Thanks for your suggestion, and I'd like to hear more, if there are any?

The wife and I love the thought of its life over the decades, with wee urchins spilling acid on it or torching it with a bunsen burner. It's not my intention to remove this damage at all, on the contrary.

I don't think I'll do anything to it structurally, cos if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I will, however, remove the rusty metal foot plates and get them looking nice. But that'll be about it.

It's still not quite dry yet but there's no hurry. I can't believe I've managed to acquire this lovely (to my eyes) bit of historical and useful furniture that will now be in our family forever. So chuffed. :D

That's Good to hear Alan. We have several of these one was clearly used in the art room and to our eyes the paint drops make it - keep us posted on how it turns out

Nice one. Can you or anyone else put an approximate age on it?

The magnificent school building this originated from was built in 1808, and is gonna close down soon for some incomprehensible reason, so being able to retain at least one little thing from it gives this project unimaginable value. Thanks. :)

I know little about them but Drew of Selvage Hunters On Quest I am sure said that similar ones were 1920s.

James

Latest posts

Back