Ducting extraction pipework

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the DX sorted in the 'shop, and need some help.

I have a Clarke chip collector, and want to devise some kind of system which will handle the chip collection from the extraction for the planer thicknesser, spindle moulder, bandsaw and the table saw. Here's a pic of the section of the 'shop i've dedicated to the extractor and dust collection "bucket"

DSC00016-1.jpg

And this is the wall along which the machines are used - the bandsaw rolls out of the way and the p/t or s/m rolled into it's place. T/s stays in-situ - no rolling that beast around the 'shop.

DSC00017-1.jpg

The Clarke d/x will be wall mounted and connected to the water butt, via something like this

DCS_l.jpg

A solid 4" pipe will then run horizontally along the wall, finishing somewhere behind where the bandsaw is in the picture. Then a flexi pipe will be connected to whatever machine is in use.

I am thinking about venting the Clarke d/x outside, rather than use the cloth bag which comes with it.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Cheers

Karl

Without the bag whats to stop the extractor blowing all the dust outside, the bag acts as the filter

Also in winter you will be blowing all your warm air outside which will have toi be replaced by COLD air finding its way into the workshop.

Jason

The principle sounds mostly OK to me ... but I do live in a relatively mild climate (winter "highs" of say 8C, and we get maybe only half a dozen frosts a year, summer highs of 25C).

I've yet to install the metal ducting (other things get given a higher priority because what I'm doing works for now ... 3hp perhaps gives me a little flexibility), so I'm still using all-flexible ducting and over a significantly longer run than your situation looks like. I will indeed exhaust outside when the permanent installation is done. The secret is the cyclonic separator - mine is the one you pictured, but on a rubbish bin (it may not be so, but the green drum looks to have a greater diameter than the separator lid??). The "Phil Thien" home-made separator disk to go inside a cyclonic drum really appeals to me from engineering first principles, but I've yet to have to build one. You could look into that by searching for "Phil Thien" on the US's Woodnet.net/forums.

When I do get around to the permanent install, my whole dust collector including the standard, rather coarse bag filters, will go inside a ply cupboard, partly so that I can contain anything that might escape the cyclonic interceptor, partly to control the noise. I already have the rainproof vents that will go through the wall to the outside ... so, one day ...

I stumbled across this link a while ago; it may give you some ideas. He's got a good solution for workshops without a lot of headroom, I think.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm definitely going to extract outside. In fact, i'm going to follow the example of the guy in the link Olly provided, and do away with any internal filtration, and just dump the lot into an externally built container.

I'm also going to buy a bigger powered extractor, capable of shifting more CFM.

Cheers

Karl

Back