Duck Punt Build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all and a happy new year to you.

Finally been out to the shed today and preparing to re-start the punt project. A little background info , this duck punt's ancestors were originally designed for wildfowling and would be rowed or sailed to sneak up on their unfortunate prey, some carried a punt gun essentially a huge long shotgun which could be fired once only but could bag a whole lot of ducks in one fell swoop.
This particular class was resurected a few years back by a local boatbuilder who used to build them as an apprentice, he simplified the design so it could be built in plywood by amatures,all the hulls are built upside down on the same jig at said boatbuilders workshop and many like this one are completed at home.
I took this hull over from a friend who no longer has the time to work on it as he's been on a breeding program and commutes to the city everyday.
The class now is used mostly for racing with up to 12 boats regularly taking part.
Some Pics
002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

001.jpg

hopefully I will finish in time for some racing this year ( it is a winter sport ) and i could do with the space it will free up , so i will keep it posted.
Jason.

I took this hull over from a friend who no longer has the time to work on it as he's been on a breeding program

:shock: Is your friend's nickname Stud by any chance? :lol:

Lovely project, I would love to make a kayak or small yacht or something that flies from wood :) Keep posting pics as you progress, please.

I was browsing through the kayaks that are built by amateurs in North America, all very nice, then I started to wonder about amateur building of floaty things in Britain, wondered if it even existed to any extent. Your project is the first I've seen.

Simon

Hi Simon.
I don't know about stud , he's only managed two so far but thats enough to curtail any hobby time. :D
As for amateur boat building here try 'classic boat or watercraft' magazine or online both are really good or for some inspiration have a look at http://www.selway-fisher.com/ i have built or re-built a few boats to date and being able to sail or row something you have created is second to none. Also Shim20 on this forum is building a plywood kayak, certainly worth following although i think the cold may be holding him back now.
I shall do my best to keep on with the punt and keep it posted.

Jason

woo looking good, id love to be getting on with mine but its to cold for the expoxy :x , that ply looks thick will be a heavy thing?? mines only made from 4mm ply

They were built pretty heavy, the recoil from that gun must have brought tears to their eyes!

Roy.

I've never understood the reason for a shoulder stock, not even John Wayne could fire one of them from the shoulder.

Roy.

phantom of the offcut":38s020k0 said:
My neighbour has a what i would a call 'proper gun punt' and that gun is more like a cannon.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... image&cd=1
Take a look at this.
lock and load! What the heck did that thing fire? Looks like a working prototype for the "super gun" which a Sheffield company was accussed of building for Libia in the the 80's!

They varied Miles. To the best of my knowledge they were only used in and around the Broads. They were attached to the prow of the punt to absorb the recoil.
Bores upto a couple of inches and firing maybe a pound weight of normally about No7 shot.
God knows how much black powder they rammed down the barrel!

Roy.

Latest posts

Back