Drying wood - how far to put the sticks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Any advice as to distance...ash..about 11ft long.. 1" thick...18" wide.

I only have a finite number of sticks available and so want to go for the widest span between but concerned about sag.

Many thanks

I feel I've joined the big boys now I've got some wood to dry !

Roger

Every 24" or so, come in say 6" then at 2ft intervals which would need six sticks per board. Keep all the sticks vertically in line down the stack, staggering them will cause sagging.

Jason

Roger Sinden":17oqjung said:
I feel I've joined the big boys now I've got some wood to dry !
You've got some wood? SOME wood?

Who had to charter a lorry to get their booty home? Some wood indeed :lol: !

Gill

PS Don't forget to seal the end grain so that moisture loss is evened out and the risk of splitting the boards is diminished.

jasonB":jn9qhzbz said:
Every 24" or so, come in say 6" then at 2ft intervals which would need six sticks per board. Keep all the sticks vertically in line down the stack, staggering them will cause sagging.

Jason

Thanks Jason...I'm not sure what you mean by staggering them? Do you mean ensuring that all the sticks are the same height?

no what he means is a stick, a board, then directly above the lower stick another one etc.

bet your muscles ache after moving 11 foot planks.

paul :wink:

As Eng'1 says the sticks should all be one above the other like this pic

http://nwtimber.com/images/site/site3.jpg

You could vary the size of the sticks so long as they do not vary along a plank eg 1st plank then a row of 1" wide sticks, second plank then a row of 3/4" sticks etc.

Jason

Latest posts

Back