Drum Sanding Kit in router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a drum sander kit in their router table?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p15110?table=no

Says it comes with a 6m spindle, which is not far off 1/4" inch, so could possibly fit in a 1/4" collet? Reason being, I have a drill press, but it's not great, but I do have a pretty good router table setup. So I was thinking this could work well by turning the speed right down?

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm sceptical you could run a router slow enough. You absolutely need to be able to run a drum sander at minimal revs to avoid burning, snatching, and taking great divots out of the workpiece when you're aiming for a fair curve.

Drum sanders are one of those tools where the guy who uses one all day, every day can perform miracles. But for the rest of us spokeshaves, rasps, and a bit of hand sanding are often the better solution.

Good luck!

Hmm - I should have checked that first really. My router speed is 10-30k rpm. The Triton Oscillating Spindle Sander has a max speed of 2k rpm. So there goes that idea!

keep using the drill press, use coarser paper, cut closer to the finished edge.

I wouldnt be in the same room as a router with a mis matched drum sander mounted in it (but I would be prepared to stand outside with 999 on the phone dial ready).

Also never never ever think of abusing a router collet to mix metric and imperial sizes.
This is very dangerous and will ruin the collet.

Just received a couple of really good drum sanders from axminster, the packaging states MAX rpm as 1500.

Have done it, probably won't bother again.

One thing you may well find ( unless you have a very posh router and/or table) is that you won't be able to fit any sanding drum bigger than the hole in the table ( which in my case limits me to using the 1" & 3/4" ones - not the very small ones as they have shanks of less than 6mm dia) as you won't be able to access the collet/ lock button with the router raised.

Latest posts

Back