Driver's licence, Part Deux!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Those who read my earlier post will recall the difficulty I had with proving that I am me! Others may also recall my comments about officialdom in relation to me over the years.
This morning my application form was returned, complete with covering letter informing me that the person who had signed my picture had failed to complete the appropriate part of the form.
Fair enough.
The letter continued to explain that I should ignore all parts that they had circled in red ink.
Fair enough.
Re read the form, missing was the number of years that the signaturee had known me.
Fair enough.
It was circled in red ink!

Roy.

the whole thing is bloody stupid.

My son is getting married next year (silly person) and needed his birth certificate for the registrar.

I laminated it 10 years ago to stop it getting damaged - a good idea I thought - perfectly preserved and of course safe from fraudulent alterations. :idea:

Bad idea - seems I could be "done" for defacing a legal document. registrar refused to accept it despite all the reg numbers etc being easily checked. :oops:

Son had to obtain a new certified copy from Beverley, his place of birth. How did he do it?

............online application, no proof of identity........just pay his fee (about a tenner I think) and through the mailbox it pops.

Powers that be now KNOW he's who he says he is :? :? :?

Bob

Digit":g89im2mv said:
Seems par for the course I'm afraid.

Roy.

Yep.. Problem is, aircraft can get blown out of the sky because the same breed are responsible for security in that field too!

:(

John

Two things I've always wanted to see. Two clerics having a vehicular collision within earshot of me! :lol:
And whether or not it would possible for a group of H and S inspectors to hold a convention without it being shut down on 'safety' grounds! :lol:

Roy.

LOML went into the local Lloyds to take out a largish sum in cash. Not that large..under a grand but more than the ATM would give out. So being a sensible person took in her cheque book and passport. The boy behind the counter refused to take the passport as proof of identity preferring instead to take sight of her credit cards (which could easily have been stolen).

Wait...it gets better. When he asked LOML if she had her debit card with her and she said 'yes', he then said ' That's even better. Here is your money'. No PIN required.

Lons":jk0xe9wx said:
Bad idea - seems I could be "done" for defacing a legal document.
...which of course it is. Even the ink (note no biros, always writ using fountain pen) is special ( I know 'cos I asked once) - Rob

woodbloke":1603x736 said:
Lons":1603x736 said:
Bad idea - seems I could be "done" for defacing a legal document.
...which of course it is. Even the ink (note no biros, always writ using fountain pen) is special ( I know 'cos I asked once) - Rob

Rob, just curious, but why do they say that it is defacing the document? Surely by having it in between plastic he is doing the exact opposite and protecting it from being ripped or water damage etc ?
I do not know much about the actual process of laminating, but if he was to carefully cut along the edge of the plastic could he pull the document out, or is it stuck to the laminate? Because this is the only way that I can think of the certificate being damaged.

As I said I am not disagreeing with anyone, I am just curious.

Cheers

Mike

We recently registered our daughter and I couldn't help being rather curious about the process so I questioned the guy doing the registration (amazingly he wasn't the usual council droid - he seemed to know what he was talking about). What I was most curious about was how do they stop people from just registering a baby multiple times. Seems the whole process hinges on the fact that all mothers have some interaction with the NHS during pregnancy and at the birth and the baby gets registered immediately after birth.

So I asked him what would happen if the mother didn't get tell the NHS she was pregnant and didn't register the birth. His first response was it couldn't happen :? which was quickly followed up with "we wouldn't register the child". That effectively means the child would become a non-person though as they couldn't get a passport, benefits, go to school etc etc. Weird eh?

Nice to see they are trying bit it's a shame I can think of about a dozen ways around their system...

why do they say that it is defacing the document? Surely by having it in between plastic he is doing the exact opposite and protecting it from being ripped or water damage etc ?

My thoughts exactly Mike which is why I thought it was a good idea at the time.

I do not know much about the actual process of laminating, but if he was to carefully cut along the edge of the plastic could he pull the document out, or is it stuck to the laminate? Because this is the only way that I can think of the certificate being damaged.

I haven't tried but doubt if it's possible as it's a hot lamination process. I'll dig out the laminator and try on something unimportant.

I've given myself a real headache as apart from the cost of the docs I need to replace, my own birth certificate was issued in Austria (my place of birth) as my parents were stationed there at the time.
I'll have a hell of a job getting a new one :oops:

Bob

Lons":258tmg46 said:
why do they say that it is defacing the document? Surely by having it in between plastic he is doing the exact opposite and protecting it from being ripped or water damage etc ?

My thoughts exactly Mike which is why I thought it was a good idea at the time.

I haven't tried but doubt if it's possible as it's a hot lamination process. I'll dig out the laminator and try on something unimportant.

I've given myself a real headache as apart from the cost of the docs I need to replace, my own birth certificate was issued in Austria (my place of birth) as my parents were stationed there at the time.
I'll have a hell of a job getting a new one :oops:

Bob

Bob let us know how you get on with the laminator, because I for one am interested.

Cheers

Mike

Bob let us know how you get on with the laminator, because I for one am interested.

Hi Mike

Just tried it on one of my business cards, laminated with the same machine and not a hope in hell. The paper is completely fused to the surface of the laminate. :!:

Mine is a hot lamination process however and there are cold lam machines which may be different.

regards

bob

Lons":8tlv7mmd said:

Hi Mike

Just tried it on one of my business cards, laminated with the same machine and not a hope in hell. The paper is completely fused to the surface of the laminate. :!:

Mine is a hot lamination process however and there are cold lam machines which may be different.

regards

bob

Hi Bob, that's where the defacing of a document comes into it then :roll: Oh well at least we know now.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":3vj22384 said:
Lons":3vj22384 said:

Hi Mike

regards

bob

Hi Bob, that's where the defacing of a document comes into it then :roll: Oh well at least we know now.

Cheers

Mike

Yes but I still don't get it Mike :?

The original document is supplied printed and signed and in that state could potentially be "doctored".

By laminating it, that potential is eliminated and as the lamination is glass clear. the original document is completely unaffected but preserved. All information is there to be read and is verifyable.

The only way you can deface the document is by trying to remove the laminate - for what purpose except to deface it I would ask :?:
Even the powers that be, would not alter an original document - just replace it.

I have the original, impossible to alter and fully verifyable - illegal it seems yet I can order a replacement at a fee without providing any proof of identity :roll:

Crazy situation :!: :?

studders":52cx1l2e said:
Dibs-h":52cx1l2e said:
studders":52cx1l2e said:
Aren't Passport and Driving License Photos Laminated on these days?

All animals are equal....... :roll:

I've not got the right Head on today Dibs. Can you expand a tad? :lol:

All animals are equal but some more than others - i.e. you can't laminate stuff but if the Man does it that's ok. 1 rule for us and another for them sort of thing.

Its a quote from Animal Farm - All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others

Strangely enough, it was first published on this day in 1945 (according to my desk diary)

Back