• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Drill press options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking around my shop I find I already have most of the basic metalworking tools. (Including a beat up, but still working 1940s Myford M4 Lathe) What I don't have is a decent drill-press. My small bench morticer is convertible for drilling, but it has only one speed.

So if I decided to buy a drill press, what is the bottom £.s.d range I should start looking at? I am past the age of making complicated things, so I wouldn't want anything too serious, yet would like something that does a decent job.

To get serious about metalworking I might have to sell some Festool items! :lol:

John (hammer)

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
It really depends on what you want and how precise you want it to be, you could buy a really nice old, accurate and heavy built drill for less than £300 off Gumtree, eBay or even Facebook if you keep looking. On the other hand, you could buy something newer from Axminster or similar with somewhat questionable quality for quite a lot more. I personally would go for the old Meddings or similar every time.

There was a thread lately asking the same question, might be worth looking through it for some good info.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/drill-presses-again-t115549.html

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you trevanion. I will have a sort through to find that thread. I envisage using a drill press for woodwork also so I will need something robust especially with large diameter bits. I don't usually deal with eBay but just this once I could have a look. Thanks again

John (hammer)