Best drill press for £400-£500

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help and advice! Went to look at a boxford union drill press at the weekend and came home with a Meddings MF4!

Meddings.jpg

its an ex-school machine and is showing it in places. All appears to operate smoothly (selling didn't have a 3 phase supply to check it), the only minor issue i can find so far is a slightly sticky point on the quill travel, normally when the quill is around 80% of full extension.

It also has a brook compton dual voltage motor fitted, and they've also made life easier for conversion by putting these details on the back of the wiring cover:

meddings motor.jpg

Just need a single to 3 phase VFD and off we go.

Those are a really good drill. Made to a high precision.
They have a cool cam action to release the belt tension so no excuse not to change speeds to suit the job.
Back gear is super useful, just be gentle with it. Only shift when the machine is stopped and gently twist the chuck by hand to help the gears mesh. At least one of the gears is a tufnol type material as I recall. That's not unusual. Helps keep the noise down.
The only downside is the table is heavy and you have to take it's weight while you wriggle it up and down the column.

Some forum members own them so you should find advice if you need it.

Polish the column up with scotchbrite and protect it. Possibly even with white lithium grease as it 's v durable and not too sticky in this application.
Try moving the head on the column too. I think it should move on these. Heads are prone to rusting on because they are rarely moved so a clean and lube may prevent this.

Those are a really good drill. Made to a high precision.
They have a cool cam action to release the belt tension so no excuse not to change speeds to suit the job.
Back gear is super useful, just be gentle with it. Only shift when the machine is stopped and gently twist the chuck by hand to help the gears mesh. At least one of the gears is a tufnol type material as I recall. That's not unusual. Helps keep the noise down.
The only downside is the table is heavy and you have to take it's weight while you wriggle it up and down the column.

Some forum members own them so you should find advice if you need it.

Polish the column up with scotchbrite and protect it. Possibly even with white lithium grease as it 's v durable and not too sticky in this application.
Try moving the head on the column too. I think it should move on these. Heads are prone to rusting on because they are rarely moved so a clean and lube may prevent this.
Thanks for the feedback! Drill head moves freely (it needed adjustment to get it in the back of the truck on saturday).

Plan is to attach the column with wire wool and some ATF50. I'll probably have a go at the other machined surfaces while i'm at it a.

Back