Drill height adjustment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoonsbySven

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm considering buying a Meddings pillar drill. I'm trying to work out how the height adjustment on this model works. The pillar drills I've used have had a table that moves up and down the column (usually by means of a rack and pinion gear).

However, this one does not have a second table. There is a "collar" on the column between the base and the motor, and it appears to have a handle on it, so might have something to do with height adjustment, but I can't quite see how it would work. It doesn't look like a second table should be attached there.

The column extends through the top of the belt housing, and so I assume that maybe the whole motor etc could move up and down, but it's not all that clear from the photo:

Capture.JPG

Is anyone familiar with this style, and any advantages/disadvantages?

Very grateful, as always, for any advice...
Cheers,
Sven

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,210
Looks like a "Drilltru" - if so it should have a table. There is no winding facility on it afaik. You are are right, the head does move up and down the column. Someone will be along to tell you more - they are common and very good.

it looks very similar to mine. meddings do not have a rack and pinion on these drills. There should be a table. The motor assembly will move up and down, but I would avoid unless it is very cheap- as a doer uper you should be able to get a complete one for £80-120. you will quickly get tired of moving the whole motor lump up, and it isnt lightweight.

I've looked again at the winder thing, and I think the drill is either a Driltru or a LF1 with a head raising optional extra added. A picture of what it should look like is at the bottom of the attached. There would not have been a separate table as I think is was originally part of a gang drill bank. Lovely drill, and a bit if rack will soon have it in pristine working order.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/meddingsdrills1960/index.html

Thanks very much for the replies, guys.
Deema, I think you're right, it's got the head raising mechanism. From what I can gather, the LB1 is the bench top model, and the LF1 is the floor standing (not that that's relevant here).

If you scroll down about 80% of the way on the page you linked to, there's a picture of pretty much exactly the same drill (maybe that's the one you were referring to). I still cant really work out how the thing actually works though!! I get that by winding the handle, the box thingy it's attached to (that's a technical term, BTW ;-)- circled in the document you linked to- moves up and down the rack. But what does that do?? It's not attached to the head, so then you just have a box thingy that moves up and down the column!

Anyway, I'm still really keen to hear from anyone who has experience of using one like this, ie a single table. One main thing that occurs to me is that in my limited experience, that it's been useful to have a raised working platform when lining up drill bits and marks.

I'd really like to go and have a look at it, but it's 3 blasted hours away, and that's a lot of time and petrol to waste if it is a lemon...

Thanks again,
Sven

Back