DRILL DOCTOR

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzer

Reaction score
It seems that this american machine is not made with 240 volt supply,it comes only with a 120volt 60htz does anyone know a way around this for the UK. ?

I have a very similar Drill Doctor in my workshop at school and it's a very good bit of kit. However, once you learn to sharpen drills by hand, you'll find that the Drill Doctor will sit unused in a cupboard for the rest of it's life.

My recommendation would be to find someone that can sharpen drills by hand on a high speed grinder, and get them to show you the basics, it really shouldn't take more than five minutes, and will save you a fortune in sharpening kit and drill bits.

I teach engineering to 14-18 year olds, and they really abuse the drills. I can honestly say that I've not used the Drill Doctor for such a long time that I'm not actually sure where it is any more.

My second recommendation would be to buy good quality drill bits. I now use Hertel bits sourced from J+L industrial and find that my students hardly ever break drills and I don't need to sharpen them half as often, whereas when we used budget drills, they were forever breaking drills, the budget drills were definitely a false economy!

Cheers

Aled

This guy basically shows what you need to know, but as always it's always better to be shown first hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGibYeprpkk&feature=related

If you don't have a drill point gauge (who does?) it may be a good idea to cut a bit of card or thin ply to 118degrees (the most common grind angle) to help you along.

You won't get it right first time, but with a little practice, you'll find that you can sharpen a drill accurately in less than 30 seconds and then get back to work.

EDIT : This video goes into much more detail and shows exactly what you need to know. (It does go on a bit though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqn2VPGYA9c&NR=1

Cheers

Aled

Agree with Aled, learn to sharpen them by hand on a high speed grinder. Takes seconds when you know how - Rob

Has anyone tried the new drill sharpening jig for the Tormek? Looks interesting but I could buy a lot of drill for the price.

Andrew

What about brad point bits?

Can they be hand sharpened? Haven't been able to find anything in relation to them.

Aled Dafis":1up1dq9r said:
I teach engineering to 14-18 year olds, and they really abuse the drills. I can honestly say that I've not used the Drill Doctor for such a long time that I'm not actually sure where it is any more.

That's curious. In engineering forums, the consensus (not 100%) is that hand sharpening drill is quick and effective, but not 100% accurate, which seems "likely".

When a drill needs to drill more accurately "to size" they recommend grinding jigs (of various kinds, obviously).

BugBear

Back