Driftwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get yourself off to the seaside and collect your own, loads of it about at the moment what sized tree are you looking for, hee hee :lol: :lol:

I googled you're area, and note you're miles away from a beach.
The only other source of similar timber would be rivers and streams etc, not quite the same and smaller stuff too, but as there's Flooding possibly not a good idea at the moment.
Rodders

What sizes are you after? I don't have any on hand but there are a couple of good beaches not too far from me. I can alert you when I'm in that area next.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Could you look at sand blasting or otherwise distressing timber to look like driftwood?

Thats a good idea that had never crossed my mind Marcros. Not that I have a sand blaster, but perhaps a strong pressure washer would do a similar job.
Thanks

There's plenty on offer on eBay, presumably from people living nearer the sea!

AndyT":3l5rrvj5 said:
There's plenty on offer on eBay, presumably from people living nearer the sea!

Or people with sandblasters!

Seriously, I walk my dogs on the beech most days and almost all of the driftwood I see is carp, it floats down River X and out to sea, then gets washed up on Beach Y three days later, so it's barely had time for the bark to drop off! But it still won't hang around long before one of the army of "driftwood sculptors" who supply the seaside tat shops/galleries picks it up. So unless it's one of those very rare pieces that have spent many months floating across the Atlantic, then I guess the more enterprising Ebay sellers probably do give nature a little helping hand!

phil.p":3scntq00 said:
Custard - why do you walk your dogs on the beech? Doesn't it make it dirty? :D

I'm hardly likely to walk them on the Rippled Sycamore am I.

#-o

There are grit blasting attachments for pressure washers that look very good for distressing timber. Otherwise flutter your eyelashes at your local Environment Agency team, they may have grids and weirs that they empty regularly.

Hi Peter, I was given a chunk of driftwood from another member who didn't want it. I said I could make something of it and using some additional smaller bits, may try a fairy castle, so dont need large bits. I have looked at the web sites and think I will send of for some advertised there. Unfortunately the photographs do not relate to anything else so it's difficult to see what they are.

I think that will be the first try, but I'm not into driftwood making 'as such'. This years my plan is to try Intarsia and see where that gets me, but each picture will take longer than my bandsaw boxes to make.

Malcolm

Back