Drawer runners on solid wood panels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geir

you will get some movement , but to overcome this I only use the slotted holes (rather than the round screw holes) in the hardware and the ones with the slots along the axis with the most movement (cross the grain). Then if it does move I just adjust the position of the runners. I have one cabinet like this and adjust it from time to time.

Eventually over time you will get to a position where it needs minimal adjusting.

Good luck

Runners like those are pretty well obsolete these days for anything other than rough drawers in the garage or workshop.

You should be looking at ones like these for furniture.

tandem_fe-1.gif

They are FAR classier because you can't see them in use. The most well known brand is Blum Tandem but many manufacturers now make a version.

As for the wood movement question, personally I would take a chance on it but if you are really worried you could drill out pairs of the fixing holes into slots and put a screw in the middle of each slot, thus allowing for lateral movement.

Another good reason for using MDF!

:lol:

Brad

The runners you mention probably have flexible fixing strips, so if you make your drawers slightly narrower this feature will compensate and give space for the drawer to expand.

As regards movement in the drawer sides there probably will be some depending on the width and wood used but as the movement will probably be fairly even on both sides it should not be a problem, give enough space over and under

Good luck

If you`re worried about movement in the draw box, the runners Brad suggests will allow for this.
The orange piece is screwed to he underside of the front of the drawer box, whilst the back of the runner is located into the back of the box with a pin.

I`ve never encountered any problems due to movement with Blum tandem.

Back