download from laptop problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to download an old cnc program and files from a very old but still working fine laptop.
the laptop is running win 95 and doesnt have any usb sockets....I was hoping to download the stuff i require onto a writable cd as i have a cd writer but it works off usb.
It does have a floppy drive but i dont on my new laptop....my new laptop is running win xp.
I was looking at both laptops and the printer port seems to be about all that there is in common with both machines is there a way to download the info i need into the new laptop via the printer port.

Ian

Hi Ian

If both computers have internet access, could you not upload the program from your old machine to your ISP account and download them to your newer machine? Alternatively, would it be possible to use a free online data storage facility such as Uploadjar to do this?

Gill

Ian,

This used to be a regular thing - there is a product called LapLink that does this (A quick search showed that it now does all sorts of other clever things as well) using a Parallel cable (i.e. printer port).

There is also a number of freeware programs that do this on the serial port using a null modem cable - but I guess your newer laptop does not have a serial connection?

I would say a search for laplink / file transfer / parallel cable should get you some results.

As an alternative you could try to beg / borrow / steal a nework card for the old PC and transfer using an ethernet crossover cable.

I still think Gill's sugestion is the easiest though!

Les

Gosh :shock: ,
I only went out to do a bit for an hour and all these replies came in......
Gill i thought on that but the old laptop has no access to the internet.

To make matters worse the floppy isnt working....so it looks like i will be going the printer port route.

Thanks Roger

Thanks Les...i'll give that a try...will i get one of these from pc world

Ian

Ian Dalziel":1fimjm6x said:
...will i get one of these from pc world

Ian

If you're that desperate perhaps..but I'd ring to check first they have it in stock...or download of the net..I assume your old laptop has a CD reader otherwise how will you get your program onto it?

Or take out the drive and connect as a slave drive to another computer?

Why doesn't your laptop have internet access? No modem?

Infrared port on the old laptop?

Hi Ian,

'Gill i thought on that but the old laptop has no access to the internet'

Ian, I am not much better then a novice, so the answer to this is probably staring me in the face, but if your new laptop is connected up to the internet, why can't you temporary connect your old laptop up to that access point?

Cheers

Mike

Ian,
You could try "Direct cable connect" eg this advice in a computer newlsletter:-

It's the "Direct Cable Connection" software, and it's been part of Windows since 1995. Using an inexpensive cable (called a "crossover," "Interlink," "DCC" or "LapLink" cable, available for about $6 from almost any computer accessory retailer) you can transfer files via either your laptop's serial ports (at speeds to 115K), or better still, via the much faster parallel (printer) port.

What's more, using DCC or any of its several variants, you can connect PCs running the same or different versions of Windows, or even different operating systems! It's so powerful a tool, I carry a parallel port DCC cable with me whenever I travel.

DCC may already be installed on your system: To see if it's there, click Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications. If Direct Cable Connection is there, click on it: A "Wizard" interface will help you get started.

If DCC isn't on your system, click to the Add/Remove Programs icon in Control Panel, and then click the Windows Setup tab. In the Components list, click Communications, and then Details; in the dialog box, click Direct Cable Connection, and then click OK. DCC will then install itself (if your Windows setup files are not on your hard drive, you'll be prompted for the Windows CD.)

[NB: This original article predated XP, but XP still has DCC in it: Go to Start/Help and search for "direct cable" for full info. Win2K info--- and some additional XP info--- is also available at ftp://ftp.lpt.com/parallel/DCC-SETUP.DOC )

In any case, it's best to set up DCC on your system before you need it: That way, you can test it (at home, or in your normal work environment) and make sure everything on your end is OK. Setting it up in advance also will let you learn the ins and outs so you can assist the person who'll be on the other end of your DCC connection in the event they're unfamiliar with the process. (Again, both PCs have to be running some type of DCC software for the connection to work.)

And there are a couple of "gotchas:" For example, if you're establishing DCC for the purposes of sharing files or a network printer, you'll need to enable "Print And File Sharing" on the PC doing the sharing. But you need to make sure that Print and File Sharing services for your DCC setup are not enabled for any Internet connections you have; otherwise, people on the general Internet also could gain access to your files or printers. To check this, open the Control Panel "Network" applet, and click on each instance of TCP/IP in the Configuration window: Then click the Bindings tab and UNcheck the box next to File and Printer sharing; this will keep sharing services from being offered via your Internet (TCP/IP) connection.

And, as long as you're in the Network Control Panel, you might also want to ensure that adding DCC hasn't altered any other network settings on your PC, either.

All the above makes this sound more complicated than it is--- in part because we've touched on every version of Windows since 3.0, and other operating systems, too! In reality, installing DCC on any one PC isn't that hard. And it's well worth it, because with DCC and a $6 cable, you'll almost always be able to any other PC or network, no matter what!

UNQUOTE

Ian if the above methods do not work then the last resort would be to take the hdd out and, using an adapter, fit it into your pc. In my experience, laplink\parallel transfer can be hit and miss.

Roger Sinden":3o2zalcv said:
Actually I think Gill's idea is BRILLIANT....mucho lateral thinking

Unfortunatly this problem comes up against the thing called bandwidth limitation... Unless you have a damn good broadband connection that is.

My vote is for Laplink... Used it a lot before I went to LAN.

Little Me,

'Gill i thought on that but the old laptop has no access to the internet'

Ian, I am not much better then a novice, so the answer to this is probably staring me in the face, but if your new laptop is connected up to the internet, why can't you temporary connect your old laptop up to that access point?
Could the above work, or am i way off track?

Cheers

Mike

Ian

I know you didn't say if you actually had an infrared port, but if you do, what about your mobile phone has that got one too. you could file transfer to that and then the PC.

Alan

Thanks Guys and Gals....
help has been greatly appreciated...I havent done it yet...been busy in the workshop but hope to try it tonight

Ian

Cheers Guys,
I did the laplink...got it from maplins....not quite as straight forward as i thought and i get frustrated very quickly and easily but managed to keep myself from dropping a hammer through it

all done ...many thanks

Ian

Latest posts

Back