Dowel drilling.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question........

If using 6mm dowels, do you drill a 6mm hole or give a bit for glue. The tighter the hole then the more accurate and solid the joint, but what about the glue? Same question really for length - if using a 30mm dowel, do you drill both sides at 15mm or slightly longer to give a well underneath the dowel for glue?

I ask because I'm making a dowel drilling jig here - https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/join ... 41754.html and I'm wanting to make sure I drill the holes out to the correct diametre.

Thanks

I use a joint genie you generally drill the holes a little deeper than half the lenth of the dowel .
Use fluted dowels sometimes they are tight probably because they have taken in some moisture from the air keep them dry and they are ok.

If you are using plain (not fluted) dowels, a saw cut along the length of the dowel will enable the excess glue to escape.

Always leave room for excess glue to escape. If you don't there is a danger that the joint won't go together properly or the wood will split.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

If the hole is deeper than the dowel, won't that provide an escape for the excess glue?

Paul Chapman":3e7faxro said:
If you are using plain (not fluted) dowels, a saw cut along the length of the dowel will enable the excess glue to escape.

Always leave room for excess glue to escape. If you don't there is a danger that the joint won't go together properly or the wood will split.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
Paul is correct here and the combined depth of the holes should be two or three mm greater than the length of the dowel. As Paul says, without a way of letting the excess glue escape, there's a danger of hydraulic lock within the joint and it won't go together - Rob

Beowolf":uus5ezp3 said:
If the hole is deeper than the dowel, won't that provide an escape for the excess glue?

could also allow the dowel to sink too far into the hole when you clamp up or whatever. Meaning you could end up with 17mm in one hole but only 13mm in the other. you'd never know unless you pulled the 2 pieces apart before the glue dried.

I usually drill the hole the dowel will go in first to half the length. The second hole a couple of mm deeper to allow for the glue, but I always groove the dowels as well.

I'm using the Wolf dowell jig, it's not as good as the joint Genie but it is very quick to set up and I always use their dowels too which are fluted so on my work the glue comes up the sides Ok and the jig prevents drilling too deep. I never thought about them swelling with moisture and have made a note to keep them in a good dry location.

Latest posts

Back