dovetails feeling quite pleased

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
These are the first dovetails I have done by hand since 33 years ago at school. I used the Rob cosman method plus the 140 skew shoulder to help register the tails onto the second board (works well).

I am quite pleased considering the old eyes are going and this was in solid oak for both pieces. The apparent slight gap is a shadow line from the flash
dsc03756i.jpg

dsc03760.jpg

Alan

Bloody hell, those look almost perfect, Alan! :shock: :wink:

Did you have to do any tidying up with a chisel or is the finish straight off the saw?

wowzers! you did really well there. I'm not even going to mention my first attempt ;)

Did you have to do any tidying up with a chisel or is the finish straight off the saw?
Ok I could tell a porky here :) I think if it had been softwood they would have gone together. On the first trial fit I got about a third of the way in and it got tight, so I did have to pare the pins a tad, I admit. what you are looking at is a dry fit without being planed flush. I could have got cocky like Rob C and put the glue on and hit with a mallet but it would have ended in tears. I promise to let you know how the other three go, good or bad when making the cabinet. Can you see the dots from the dividers I used... is that honest marking on display, or a flaw?

Alan

Look pretty damn good to me
Why thankyou, I am a little confused as to how I managed to post this under buying advice after all this time using forums.... I suppose it's an age thing :?

Alan

Back