• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Dovetail saw - Crosscut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Just4Fun

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2017
Messages
714
Reaction score
152
Location
Finland
I am looking for a new dovetail saw, having given up trying to find an old one. A Footprint model looks to be suitable but it has crosscut teeth. I would have thought rip cut would be more suitable for a dovetail saw. Any comments? Any suggestions for an alternative saw at a similar cost?
 

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
3,775
Reaction score
572
Location
Pembrokeshire
I can't see why it wouldn't work but 90% of dovetails are ripping cuts, So I'd suppose you'd ideally want one with a rip pattern. Crosscut pattern would cut with the grain fine but it would be a bit slower and tend to gum up the teeth more, especially with 20tpi.

The Veritas saw is supposed to be excellent for the money: https://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-dovetail-saw-210923
 

samhay

Established Member
Joined
10 Aug 2017
Messages
323
Reaction score
36
Location
Peak District
The footprint saw can be resharpened.
If you don't like the crosscut pattern (or when it gets blunt), change it to rip.
 

thetyreman

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2016
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
339
Location
North West
I would also go with the veritas rip cut 14 tpi saw, it's not much more than the footprint and would be in a completely different league, you don't want a crosscut saw for dovetailing...99.9% of dovetailing is ripcutting, the cross-cut/fleam tooth pattern would not give you the cleanest or best cut.

one thing I will add is that it's vital you learn how to sharpen and set your saws, if they aren't sharp you won't get the best results, no different to plane blades and chisels.
 

Just4Fun

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2017
Messages
714
Reaction score
152
Location
Finland
Thanks all for the replies.

I do sharpen my own saws so I could certainly get the Footprint saw and re-file it rip. That goes against the grain though. If a manufacturer can get something so basic wrong I'm not sure I want to encourage them by buying their product.

The Veritas saw looks OK but I was particularly looking for a saw with a significantly higher tpi count than the tenon saw I currently use; I want something that produces a smoother / cleaner cut.
 

thetyreman

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2016
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
339
Location
North West
Just4Fun":xpjfnj32 said:
Thanks all for the replies.

I do sharpen my own saws so I could certainly get the Footprint saw and re-file it rip. That goes against the grain though. If a manufacturer can get something so basic wrong I'm not sure I want to encourage them by buying their product.

The Veritas saw looks OK but I was particularly looking for a saw with a significantly higher tpi count than the tenon saw I currently use; I want something that produces a smoother / cleaner cut.
veritas also make a DT saw with 20 tpi as well, https://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-fin ... saw-211804
 

MikeG.

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2008
Messages
10,177
Reaction score
683
Location
Essex/ Suffolk border
xy mosian":1uhkgdwb said:
The image of that Footprint saw looks to have Rip cut teeth. To me.
xy
Yep, it has. Either the description or the image seems to be wrong. As always, I'd be spending 10% of the price and getting a decent old tool.
 

Just4Fun

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2017
Messages
714
Reaction score
152
Location
Finland
thetyreman":2odd4gma said:
veritas also make a DT saw with 20 tpi as well, https://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-fin ... saw-211804
Excellent! Sounds like a good option.

MikeG.":2odd4gma said:
As always, I'd be spending 10% of the price and getting a decent old tool.
That would be my preference also, but as I mentioned I have been unable to find an old tool. I have been looking for a while without success.
 

MikeG.

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2008
Messages
10,177
Reaction score
683
Location
Essex/ Suffolk border
In which case, if the need were urgent, I'd go for a Gent's saw. £15 to £25. I cut all my dovetails for donkey's years with one. As soon as you buy a new saw, a perfect old one will come up for sale, of course.
 
Top