Dovetail router bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfarrar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just broke the head of my dovetail router bit, the wood was smoking so I guess it was probably blunt. I would like to replace it with a same size bit but of better quality (original was from a screwfix set). It's is 12.7mm with an angle of 14 degrees, any recommendations would be appreciated, I seem to be struggling to find any in this size with this angle.

The axi ones sound good, think that's the wrong size for me because I have a 1/4 inch router. I have heard good things about wealdon but struggling to find the right one on their chart, think I need to get a caliper on the bit so I can check the dimensions with the chart. As the dovetail bit was in a set I thought it would be a standard size but there seem to be all sorts of variations.

Does anyone know if Wealden do a bowl & tray bit? Sorry to hijack the original question. I know Rutlands sell one by Tornado, just curious as I can't find one with Wealden.

The 14 deg is the same as 104 deg, just a different way of putting it, will be the T1017 I think

Cool thanks will order the T1017.

How long roughly do quality bits keep their edge? I have been slotting oak and that screwfix one didn't last very long.

hard to say really, if you can do it, use a cheap straight bit to remove the bulk then much less work for the dovetail bit!

adidat

mfarrar":35836rr9 said:
The axi ones sound good, think that's the wrong size for me because I have a 1/4 inch router. I have heard good things about wealdon but struggling to find the right one on their chart, think I need to get a caliper on the bit so I can check the dimensions with the chart. As the dovetail bit was in a set I thought it would be a standard size but there seem to be all sorts of variations.

Hello,

T1017 on the Wealden chart is 1/2 in diameter 14deg.

Mike.

Took me years to figure out how easy it is to sharpen a bit yourself, could have saved me a fortune.

The Trend credit card is a good start, there's even a video about it on YouTube - published by Trend. Edit, removed the Yoda speak.

Back