Dovetail marking gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I needed to make a dovetail marking gauge, so I pinched a design from Rob Stoakley (from whom I also pinched the piece of perspex and the piece of Rosewood :D ).

Planed one edge of the perspex dead straight, then marked a centre line using a marking gauge. Drilled and countersunk two holes and screwed the perspex to a large-ish piece of MDF. Did all the marking out on the MDF then routed the perspex using a 6mm bit and a slow speed. I've used a slope of 1 in 7.

The Rosewood fence is fitted with a couple of M6 coach bolts and wing nuts

Dovetailmarker.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul (and Rob),

That's a very good design IMO, because it gets you directly to pin placement. Does anyone make that style commercially anymore? I have one many years old (1:8)--and use it-- that a fellow in Berea, Kentucky used to make, but they're not advertised anymore. The perspex is a good idea, so you can see the adjacent pattern.

Thanks for showing!

Wiley

EDIT: That silly face up there is supposed to be saying 1:8, but I can't get the mocking face to go away.

Wiley Horne":2qlhmvu4 said:
Does anyone make that style commercially anymore?

Thanks Wiley. I've not seen this design anywhere commercially. I tried out Rob's and immediately liked it so was keen to make one for myself.

Paul

Paul Chapman":20mv8bph said:
I needed to make a dovetail marking gauge, so I pinched a design from Rob Stoakley (from whom I also pinched the piece of perspex and the piece of Rosewood :D ).

AFAIK that design was originated by Robert Wearing, and published in Making Woodwork AIDS and Devices

As an over generous response to a minor favour I did him, Ian Dalziel (of this parish) made me an interpretation of it:

dt_1_7.JPG

dt_dz_stamp.JPG

BugBear

BB - fabulous looking bit of kit. These sorts of gauges work very well and I've never had any sort of problem with mine. Pauls is the same as mine with a slope of 1:7 which should be good for most work. One advantage of this sort of gauge is that if on the odd occasion a hoppered box needs to be made then an adjustment to the setting is quite easily done

Paul - of course you need a good (W) dovetail saw now to go with the gauge :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: - Rob

Nice work Paul! And, of course BB, that one that Ian made for you ius simply stunning.

I love cutting dovetails and so I enjoy dovetail saws, dovetail knives, and - as here - dovetail marking gauges. There are a bunch of different designs on the market. I own a few. I have not used the Paul/Ian/BB type. I wonder how it compares with these:

The "T" types of Lie-Nielsen (ala Rob Cosman), a gift from TLN, ... 1:6 and 1:7

LNDovetailMarker1.jpg

.. and WoodJoy ... it is really tiny ... 1:6 and 1:8

page9_1.jpg

I prefer and use a saddle or "L" type as you can make both the front and top in one line.

Here is an infilled one I made in brass and Tasmanian Blackwood (a little "joke" as it is a dovetailed dovetail marker). 1:7

dovetailsaddle.jpg

... and recently I made a production run of these in brass (1:5, 1:6, 1:7, 1:8 ) for the lads on WoodNet.

Brassdovetailmarker5.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice work Paul! And, of course BB, that one that Ian made for you is simply stunning.

Yeah - complete over kill :)

I love cutting dovetails and so I enjoy dovetail saws, dovetail knives, and - as here - dovetail marking gauges. There are a bunch of different designs on the market. I own a few. I have not used the Paul/Ian/BB type. I wonder how it compares with these:

LNDovetailMarker1.jpg

I think that the 'T' design probably has the best cost/benefit ratio, embodying two angles AND a right angle square.

The advantage of the Wearing design is that you place it centrally on the DT mark, and scribe BOTH lines for a DT in one placement; that's why it needs to be adjustable for the width of the DT (by sliding the stop up/down the template).

BugBear

Derek said,

I wonder how it compares with these:

LNDovetailMarker1.jpg

[/quote]

Then Bugbear said,

I think that the 'T' design probably has the best cost/benefit ratio, embodying two angles AND a right angle square.

The advantage of the Wearing design is that you place it centrally on the DT mark, and scribe BOTH lines for a DT in one placement; that's why it needs to be adjustable for the width of the DT (by sliding the stop up/down the template).

BugBear[/quote]

Bugbear hits the nail on the head IMO. Both styles have their advantages, and Derek has made some stunning gauges (not to even mention Ian's!).

On balance, I like the Wearing/Stoakley/Dalziel/Chapman style for this reason....I don't want to spend much time laying out the dovetail pattern. Would rather make it up on the fly and get to the sawing. The way I go about it is to gang the tails boards, then lay in the pins on the tails board (drawer side) near me, and that defines everything else. Because the Wearing design is adjustable for the pin entry (as BB points out), then you can just lay in the pin pattern by eye with no other marks being made. You're not done, because there are still the end grain continuation marks, to be made with another square. However, I like to gang the drawer sides in 2's or 4's, and may need the other square to get enough reach anyway--so having the full right angle built into the gauge is not quite as useful to me as having the full pin defined by the gauge. On the other hand, I can certainly see the advantage of having the full right angle defined by one gauge, depending on how one works.

The above sounds way more pedantic and serious than intended--they're both great designs. And beautiful work shown in both styles.

Thanks for the excellent thread!

Wiley

Wiley wrote:
I don't want to spend much time laying out the dovetail pattern. Would rather make it up on the fly and get to the sawing.

Hi Wiley

Well, if you layed out your dovetails like this, then you will only need to mark a single line! :D

Newshopcabilnet3.jpg

cabinetwip3.jpg

Of course, you do need a very thin-bladed marking knife if cutting tails first :wink:

Canyourmarkingknifedothis.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Beautiful work! You're right about the ease of marking, and for some drawers I like pin entries as fine as a 1/32" knife blade will permit, as you are showing. Then other situations it looks more right to me to have some weight in the pins. Either way, the drawers will be ganged in 2's or 4's first, and only the near drawer marked.

Where there will be more than 3 full pins, I like to grade the pins rather than use equal spacing. In that case, I'd rather do it by eye, and that is where the Wearing type gauge is a handy design tool. One can try a spacing very quickly, then erase and make changes quickly, without losing any important marks.

All that said, what I really like about the T style gauge that you made, is that one can have a number of them (easily) in different ratios. So for example, here is a small drawer in a Federal style lady's table:

http://traditionaltools.us/cms/index.ph ... m=35&pos=0

In this case, the pins were made 1:5, a ratio I ordinarily never use. But. The Seymours made their lady's tables that way--1:5 with thin pin entries--so I copied their dovetail pattern. That's a case where I would love to have had a series of gauges of the type you have made right at hand. Of course one can always use a bevel square, but it turned out that Richard Kell's marker had 1:5 on one side, so used that instead.

Well, it's an endless topic, and the various gauge styles each have their uses.

Your original query was 'how would the Wearing type gauge compare with the Cosman type gauge?', and I hope some insight has been brought out on that score.

Again, beautiful work, on both the dovetails and the gauges you have made.

Wiley

There's a post on the other forum that Bob Wearing is seriously ill in hospital and his family have had to sell his workshop and furniture?
Sad news.

I love his little book.

Rod :(

That is, indeed, very sad news, Rod. I met him once at a woodworking show many years ago, where he had several of his workshop devices on show. A truly delightful man and so willing to pass on his wealth of knowledge.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you. That project was a learning prototype and has a bunch of flaws, but I learned a lot from doing it. One of the things I learned had to do with the dovetail pattern on the drawers. The Seymours (a father and son transplant from the Ax area of England to Boston in the late 1700s) used a 5:1 ratio on the pins of those drawers. I don't know that they used a ratio, maybe they used direct linear measure, but it works out to 5:1. Anyway, having been indoctrinated into 7:1 and 8:1 by constant repetition, I couldn't understand the 5:1 by a master cabinetmaker. However, when you make the drawer, you realize that, since there is but a single whole pin, the use of 5:1 solved some problems that 8:1 would not have. The use of 5:1 created enough mass in the pin to give it strength, and give it the appearance of strength so it looks right, yet still have a fine pin entry. The lesson for me was that this master maker saw deeply into what he was doing, and adapted the details to suit the situation. He used shallower dovetail ratios elsewhere in his constructions, for example in the case joinery.

One other thing....I am much remiss in not remarking on Derek's little knife, that he shows in his example above. Recently, I received in the mail from Perth just such a knife, along with another gift of some hard-to-find bitstock pieces. I hope this is not breaching Derek's privacy too much....The knife has a most beautiful and solid ferrule detail--round brass stock slotted to grip the blade, wrapped by brass ferrule with a neat chamfer detail--and is handled from local western Australian timber. That little knife has a great feel to it, and an excellent design. It is a totally satisfying design, and one well worth emulating.

Wiley

Wiley - there has been a spate of knife making on the Forum inspired by Derek and a Blue Tree company :)

Rod

Hi Wiley

That inlay work is just so amazing! I have marvelled at it on several occasions. Inlay is something that I have done very little of and now I have two end tables to work on. Thanks for the inspiration.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks, Wiley, that's very interesting.

Rob Stoakley is also rather a dab hand at knife making. I have one of his and it's superb. Maybe he'll post a few pics for you :-k :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back