dovetail marker Robert Wearing style

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone know if there is a commercially made version of the dovetail marker detailed by Robert Wearing in the resourceful woodworker?

Just use a sliding bevel. When you get good at it freehand is the normal way. Gadgets lock you in to inefficient processes.

I made myself a dovetail marker out of a scrap of walnut, quick and easy

Don't know of any commercially-available ones, but easy enough to make from a piece of Perspex. I cut this out with a router

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a go at making one. Hadn't thought of using perspex, very tidy job Paul. Do you find it easier to use than a conventional saddle marker type?

madge":2ze84j1s said:
I'll have a go at making one. Hadn't thought of using perspex, very tidy job Paul. Do you find it easier to use than a conventional saddle marker type?

Yes, I find it very good for the reasons Robert Wearing mentions in his book.

Just a bit more information on how I made mine. I screwed the perspex to a piece of MDF (you can see the countersunk holes in the previous picture) and drew the shape out oversize on the MDF. I then clamped a straight edge on the oversize drawing and used my router (on a slow speed with a 1/4" cutter). I have a large square base fitted to my router which makes it very accurate in conjunction with a straight edge. I then planed the edges of the jig with a finely set block plane to get them exactly parallel with the two slots.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back