dovetail jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biasnetworks

Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing a dovetail jig however looking at them on websites I notice that they need to be bench mounted. This is not a problem but what do you do if the pieces you want to put the dovetails into are longer then the hight of your bench? I have not been able to find any information on this anywhere. Help please!!!!

I've seen woodrats mounted very high on a wall, would have to do something similar with my Leigh if the need arrose.

Jason

Hi,
One answer, and there are several, would be to buy a STOTS dovetail jig ( £20 ish) and use iut with some MDF to make your own doovetail jig to any length that you need. Done this way your jigs are fairly strong and will last well and only cost pence to replace.

reagreds
alan

There isn't any rule that says the router has to be vertical when cutting a dovetail. If you want to cut into the ends of very long pieces turn the jig through 90 degrees onto its back!

This requires good control of the router, so make sure you are steady and solid before cutting this way or you could either ruin the jig or wreck the wood. :cry:

If you need a picture of the Leigh up some terrifyingly tall ladders we have one somewhere but I guess you get the picture. Wood was about 3m long. Forget what it was for.

Martin

I'd suggest breaking through the concrete floor of your workshop and digging a hole deep enough to suit the length of wood...

Hat, coat, door... :wink:

With my Leigh jig I do as WHW suggests and turn it through 90 degrees, holding the baseplate I have mounted it to, in my twinscrew tailvice.

for most i think mounting on the wall is more practical, and thus it can be about 1220-1500 high giving you enough height for most of practical woodworking.

paul :wink:

Hello Biasnetworks.
I just used my Leigh jig for the first time since i bought it 18 monthe ago.
Faced the same problem as your having to cut 4' long boards.
Just made a box high enough to mount the jig on and take the panels.
Screwed the jig to the box via the ply that is attached to the jig and clamped the box to the workbench.Worked fine.Pleased with the dovetails too for a first attempt :D

Just took a piccy.

Paul.J

Latest posts

Back