Dovetail jigs etc. - which to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidadew

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a decent dovetail jig which will also do finger joints, and allow me to do several sizes of dovetails and as many different types as are reasonable (2 sizes are acceptable if one is small, e.g. 6.3mm) - certainly throughs and blinds if possible.

I'm not looking for the cheapest one as I will use it commercially to an extent - but not looking for the most expensive either - but a good name is always useful as I like to buy brands I know. It needs to be accurate above all else and accurate by easy to use - i.e. not lots of fiddling around setting up.

I have a job which requires machining wide planks (400mm, 600mm) so ideally one that will cope with larger pieces, even if I have to align it manually in 2 passes.

I have a 1/2" router but no router table.

I've seen the trend 300 and 600, which seem to do a variety of jobs but am open to suggestions.

Ive heard that the trend and CMT ones are considered the best of the standard jigs - although the alternative is something like a woodrat which is more versatile but also more expensive

Davidadew":2h1wb2m2 said:
I am looking to buy a decent dovetail jig which will also do finger joints, and allow me to do several sizes of dovetails and as many different types as are reasonable (2 sizes are acceptable if one is small, e.g. 6.3mm) - certainly throughs and blinds if possible.

I'm not looking for the cheapest one as I will use it commercially to an extent - but not looking for the most expensive either - but a good name is always useful as I like to buy brands I know. It needs to be accurate above all else and accurate by easy to use - i.e. not lots of fiddling around setting up.

I have a job which requires machining wide planks (400mm, 600mm) so ideally one that will cope with larger pieces, even if I have to align it manually in 2 passes.

I have a 1/2" router but no router table.

I've seen the trend 300 and 600, which seem to do a variety of jobs but am open to suggestions.

Well, for what it's worth from a complete newbie, i'd stay well clear of the Trend one. I suggest the D4R from Leigh. Supposedly the best there is and on my list as soon as i have found a new home for the Trend CDJ 600 which i think is ok'ish, but fiddly to set up.
http://www.leighjigs.com/home.php Have a look at some of the vid's.

I have been using a woodrat for the last few months and like it very much. It is probably not as easy to use as say a leigh jig tho. I had the trend jig and was really disappointed with it and returned it after a weekends use. it was just not as accurate as I had wanted. The woodrat is quite versatile and can do all that you want and produces nice joints with the slim HSS dovetail bits.

PO
It's not the size of the router that matters, It's the size of the bush. I forget what dia the Leigh needs, I'm afraid. But it's the bush, not the collet.
HTH
S

No
A 1/2" collet is not required.
An 8mm would expand the range of bits that could be used.
The Leigh jig uses longer shank router (1/4 "/6mm) bits.
The jig and templates use a follower to run around the finger guides.This follower is fixed to an adapter for your router base.
Leigh sell adapters for various routers.

I am including an adapter for DeWalt 625/621 plus another for Ryobi e601
with the one I have for sale.
The Dewalt one may well fit other models/clones.
Check the Leigh Jig website.

Aldel

Just to add confusion, although not a dovetail jig per se but I still love the versatility of my Woodrat. See www.woodrat.com

This will do far more than just dovetails too!

Here are some Woodrat dovetails I made for a walnut drawer

e0750e07cc2a4116899249810785ded7.jpg

As far as I am aware you cannot make such fine DTs on a Leigh or similar dovetail specific jig (but maybe someone will correct me cos this is based on the situation when I bought the Woodrat many years ago now).

Performed Lazarus on this thread because I have come up with a solution to route the Dovetails on the router table.

Neat and simple even on both pieces,however it does use the finger plate off a jig and a guide ring.

This been done anywhere before I make one to show it working?

Great that one,George

However the drawbacks in that one will have problems when the stock is 8" to 10" wide by 24" or long or bigger.

Fine for small work though. :)

A finger plate can be made of MDF or Laminate flooring pieces if you don't have one of those machined alloy plates.

I bought the axminister DT joint maker a couple of years ago but its a bind setting the stock up in its jaws and will make use of the finger plate as per that video but modified to take larger stock

Having managed to crack dovetails on the 'rat (after a couple of frustrating afternoons, and then some more time spent calibrating and tweaking), it would get my vote. The fact that it does so much more than just cracking dovetails and sharp finger joints is important.

When you say sharp fingerjoints,what do you mean exactly?

Are you getting tearout/splintering?if so put some scrap plywood at the frront and back of the wood to compensate for this tearout.

The Leigh, in my opinion is the best on the market. Does variable widths of tails (just as fine as the walnut one shown), half blind, finger joints, "bears ears" dovetails, "clover" dovetails ect, ect.

Easy to use also.

Woodguy.

The Leigh, in my opinion is the best on the market.

Yeah but....

I'm on about using the plate to route DT' on the router table ie simplifying the process rather than getting frustrated with aligning,screwing,bolting positioning,that gose with all stand alone DT jigs.

Back