Dovetail jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assembled the jig today, two things stood out:

1 it's really well made and excellent quality. I'm very impressed with the construction.

2 The manual is just about the best manual I've seen. Detailed steps with large colour photos for each step.

Not used it yet though but hopefully I'll get time soon and make some test cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't do what I did when I got my trend Jig: make test cuts with the wrong grain direction and then wonder why my tails were snapping off! :D

My test bits will be in MDF but I'll take that point on board for the actual thing. Might try and get some rest cuts done today.

Well today I did my first ever dovetails.

I'm very impressed and pleased with the results. Can't believe this is my first attempt

b8b66764c12a40a5571d3c235e6dfca3.jpg

Forgive the angle I was trying not to get phone shadow on it!

They look great, how did you find the jig, was it easy to set up? How long did it take to achieve that joint?

DiscoStu":2qlsyl1o said:
Well today I did my first ever dovetails.

I'm very impressed and pleased with the results. Can't believe this is my first attempt

You've nailed it, a super strong joint that could last hundreds of years.

=D>

Thanks for the encouraging words.

I have to say that the UJK jig is very good. I think it's a lot better than the Chinese copies. I think it is the same as the Port Cable jig.

The quality is excellent and importantly the manual is brilliant. Clear, loads of colour photos and step by step instructions.

I found it easy to use. I promise that the joint in the photo is my first one.

The only thing that I don't think is great is the dust collection. It's a good idea but the collector has a very wide mouth and that means it loses a lot of suction. A small collector that moves with the router would be better (like the Leigh one)

Overall very impressed.

DiscoStu":327zvq8z said:
Thanks for the encouraging words.

I have to say that the UJK jig is very good. I think it's a lot better than the Chinese copies. I think it is the same as the Port Cable jig.

The quality is excellent and importantly the manual is brilliant. Clear, loads of colour photos and step by step instructions.

I found it easy to use. I promise that the joint in the photo is my first one.

The only thing that I don't think is great is the dust collection. It's a good idea but the collector has a very wide mouth and that means it loses a lot of suction. A small collector that moves with the router would be better (like the Leigh one)

Overall very impressed.

Doesn't your router have dust collection?

Yes it does, I've got the Festool OF1400 and I did try that but with the copy ring in place there is no space for the air to flow.

DiscoStu":1h846pwj said:

k

Very nice job! Nice crisp lines from a sharp (new!) cutter and careful prep./adjustment.

It's not the same as the Porter Cable/DeWalt one - the dimensions are different.

I think you've hit upon one of the most valuable aspects of the Axi/UKJ offering, for new users, which nobody really mentioned - the quality of the manual. I see another thread elsewhere on the generally very poor quality of documentation from other manufacturers/re-sellers.

Cheers, W2S

We met some members of Axi's documentation team on the forum visit a few years back. They're very keen, seeing it both as a cost reducer and a competitive advantage.

I like the quality and tone of their manuals - they do seem to get it spot-on most of the time. I used to write manuals myself (in another industry), and I know how hard it is, even if you have a well-educated audience. They have to cater for a very wide range of readers, which makes it harder.

I contrast that, for example, with the manual for my "Dakota" wet grinder (Tormek-style): there simply wasn't one, either for it or its accessories. And since I had two machines (the first one failed and was swapped out), I think it was intentional.

E.

Back