Dovetail guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

large red

Established Member
Reaction score
Any reccomdations, for my first dovetail jig ? I don't really want to spend Leigh money, it's much more than I need, at the moment the Trend is my preferred option but Axi have two a UJK and another own brand that both look ok.
I have just completed a job with four drawers and I cut them by hand, I enjoyed the first one, very rewarding, I hated the last one. I'm done with handcut dovetails for ever.

large red":f1e0eli6 said:
..........I have just completed a job with four drawers and I cut them by hand, I enjoyed the first one, very rewarding, I hated the last one. I'm done with handcut dovetails for ever.

:D Patience old chap. Patience........ :wink:

Four jigs later and I bought a Leigh second hand, its a pleasure to use comparatively, the others gather dust in the corner, in fact I don't even know where they are.

Mike

MikeJhn":1bfd0qn9 said:
Four jigs later and I bought a Leigh second hand, its a pleasure to use comparatively, the others gather dust in the corner, in fact I don't even know where they are.

Mike

Agreed. Bought a second hand Superjig 24 on Gumtree and once I got the hang of it enjoyed using. Trend requires extra guides for different operations which add a lot to the price whereas the Leigh jig can do varying spaced through and half blind dovetails, sliding dovetails and box joints as standard.

I think you may have got the message by now, if you only want to buy once, get a Leigh dovetail jig, it really is the Rolls Royce of jigs.

mike

Mike, do you use these with bearing guided cutters or guide bushes?

I have a 600 wide Axminster jig, the old blue one quick clamp with red plastic comb and yellow guides which I use near enough daily. A 600 wide Elu knob clamping one and a SIP 300 wide one with aluminium comb which reduces the life of the bearings dramatically and both don't get used often.

I like to use bearing guided cutters as you can see the cutter as with a guide bush you can't.

If a Leigh jig can make my life easier after 6-7 years of using these 'cheap' jigs then I might need to invest in one.

Raymond UK":2ihimawx said:
Mike, do you use these with bearing guided cutters or guide bushes?

The Leigh jigs use guide bushes, the Leigh guide bush is eccentric to allow fine tuning to the width of the dovetail, no other jig does that, go onto the Leigh web site, its has a lot of information on it, one thing that stands out from all the rest is the quality of the instruction manual, it explains everything in terms you can understand and allow a very quick set up.

Mike

Pros. If you really are sure you want a router-jig then the Keller jig, for materials up to 18mm is a sensible choice. Not too expensive, easy to use, and copes with any width boards just by moving the jig along.
Provided with bearing guided cutters. A straight two flute and a dovetail cutter.
There are two versions of the jig. Pro (Aluminium Plates) and DIY. Tufnol type plastic plates)

Cons.

You need to buy from the States so there's the Customs lottery to cope with. (Unless you have a friend living over there, Even then you can still get charged. )

There are three sizes of jig. So, you need to buy the next size up if you want to use the Keller with materials over 3/4 " (18mm) thick.
You have to make the wooden blocks to fix to your jig plates. Makes a neat joint and ideal for kitchen drawers and other utilitarian box-work.

Link:

http://www.kellerdovetail.com/

(aside from their Main Jig, which has a steep learning curve. Leigh do a jig similar to the Keller, (The R9-Plus).

https://www.leighjigs.com/r9-plus-overview/

Axminster used to stock.

Also have a look on YouTube.

Hope that helps
John

Forgot to mention one of the best points of the Leigh Jig is its infinity variable dovetail spacing/size, no other jig to my knowledge does that.

I too forgot to mention David Barron's Dovetail Cutting Jig. It is for use with hand tools, but as far as I have seen users say it makes hand-cutting a 'breeze'.
It's all a matter of practice I suppose; which is the way I went. These days I find a big router a handful; so I cut by hand. The big Leigh is undoubtedly good, but you need two routers for efficient use. Plus two finger-plates, so you can use both ends of the jig without pause to reset fingers.

John

Why two finger plates? I'v been using my jig for a long time and never needed another finger plate, you only need two routers if you change router bits and that is not needed if cutting blind dovetails in a single pass, do any other jigs even allow that to be done?

I've had a look at the Leigh jig and it looks good. What material are the fingers on the jig made out off?

A bit more money than I can afford at the moment. 24" comes in just under 500 quid.

I'd like the quick clamp one rather than the turning knob one. Not many on the bay at the moment.

The fingers are aluminium, don't be afraid to buy a turning knob one, I think there is an update available on the Leigh site, if so Axminster can get it for you, there are fingers available with the hole for the single pass dovetail, or if you are bold enough they have instruction on how to modify the older type without the hole for the rod, may sound like goddeley goop, but look on the Leighs site under D4 jig as opposed to the D4 Pro lots of instructional vid's as well, as I said the instruction manual is the work of someone who actually used one so is quite intuitive and possibly the best manual of any woodworking item I have ever seen.

ADD LINK TO UPGRADE's: https://www.leighjigs.com/jig-upgrades/

Cheers Mike.

I'll have a look at that after tea. I might go for a second hand one instead.

My current ones will get me through Christmas even though it's super mad at the moment.

The spacing and the true dovetails is the main thing I like about the Leigh. Mine just cuts half blind at 12.7 and 1 angle.

MikeJhn":wqik2ega said:
The fingers are aluminium, don't be afraid to buy a turning knob one, I think there is an update available on the Leigh site, if so Axminster can get it for you, there are fingers available with the hole for the single pass dovetail, or if you are bold enough they have instruction on how to modify the older type without the hole for the rod, may sound like goddeley goop, but look on the Leighs site under D4 jig as opposed to the D4 Pro lots of instructional vid's as well, as I said the instruction manual is the work of someone who actually used one so is quite intuitive and possibly the best manual of any woodworking item I have ever seen.

ADD LINK TO UPGRADE's: https://www.leighjigs.com/jig-upgrades/

Spares and upgrades can be a problem as I found Axminster were quoting 3 months delivery and, from Canadian agent recommended by Leigh, crazy expensive postage. When I needed bridge pieces, got them from German agent.

The Superjigs can do single pass half blind dovetails as standard and also has the clamping cams.

When I needed the drilled fingers for my D4 I made the drilling jig as detailed on the Leigh site, its was wrongly dimensioned and caused me to drill the fingers incorrectly, I e-mailed Leigh about this and they sent me a complete set of fingers for the D4R Pro free of charge, they have since corrected the dimensions on their instruction sheet. Further I wanted the single pass half blind dovetail upgrade kit and was able to obtain it from Axminster in Sittingbourne off the shelf, its necessary to check each Axminster store as it seems they do not talk to each other or have information about stock at other stores.

We where talking about second hand jigs and the clamping arms as opposed to the screw clamps, obviously if the OP b ought new or one of the latest units he would have no need for any upgraded parts

My Leigh Jig got a deluge of water all over it, when my cold water tank overflowed. At the time I was busy caring for my wife, when she went down with Parkinson's so I didn't even know it had happened for quite a while.
The jig now has a problem with rust and probably needs a new through-dovetail guide bar, unless someone is prepared to have a go at the existing one with some elbow grease. It's doubtful I will use it again...
I updated the jig finger-plate and work holding clamps some time ago, and there is a multiple mortice and tenon jig with the setup.
If anyone is interested give me a PM?

John

I can't ujse the new foru format. don't know how to et back through the rfelies, don't kno haven'fathomed ot to quoyt nousyts, and ahow to

Sorry about that. I got struck by a sudden attack of occular migraine, and I lost it!

I am having difficulties sorting through the new interface on the forum. It just isn't as user friendly to me I fear. Cataracts, migraines and coordination affected!
Hence more hand work!

John

Mike

I was going to use two finger plates, so I could have a quick set up, for when I needed to dovetail on the Right-hand side of the jig. The only other alternative was make dovetails that were symmetrical. If you want an asymmetrical joint you need to work at both ends of the jig, which means resetting the fingers at least once or you just end up with bookends rather than a box. :D Saves time on a job involving multiple drawers. In the end I found it easier to use hand cutting. So my jig has never been used for lap-dovetails. and only about four or five projects in total.

John

Latest posts

Back