Dovetail Challenge...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Vesper

Reaction score
G'day woodworkers.
Just letting everyone know I am running a Dovetail Challenge to see who can produce the smallest handcut dovetails. Well why not I say?? A bit of fun for all. See this blog article on my website for the technical details.

The challenge is out there for anyone worldwide, please pass this on to anyone you who might like to have a go.

So who's in?

Happy magnifying!

smalldovetails.jpg

Philly":2zj3btfo said:
Might just have a go myself :wink:
:D

I thought that, until I looked at Chris's 16mm box in his blog...Not sure I can compete with that!

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Cheers, Ed (happy owner of Vesper small double square :D )

Hi guys. Thanks for that link Philly. Will have to keep posting profusely to get past the spamulator. Glad to see you might have a go yourself.

Good to see some happy tool owners here too... :wink:

Chris - make one more post and you're past the Spam Trap.

Cheers

Karl

I posted this clue on the Australian forum not long ago...

Whilst keeping my head most definitely removed from all bodily orifices I shall proceed to say that they actually aren't that hard. The worst bit was accurately sizing the timber to thickness.

A clue as to how I did it... forget chisels you are wasting your time, and forget about trying to mark them out its too small to bother... Or invent your own way as that is one of the main ideas of this challenge - fostering innovation and innovation. Using the 'ol grey matter, yep it hurts sometimes...I know!

I'm starting to get excited by this now, it is on the US and Aussie forums so it should turn into a good show for all I hope.

If I see no evidence of drill bits used in the finished article then do what you like, I would say hardly worth the effort when its going to take three file strokes to remove the material anyway...

Hiya all, just a quick reminder that I am hoping to have all submissions in ASAP. The challenge is supposed to close today but due to lack of entries I will be forced to extend time.
Cheers.
Chris Vesper.

I would have liked to get more done, but alas some things came up.

FWIW:

dovetails_001.jpg

Hi Laura,
Good to see you made a start. I should declare you winner by default as the only entrant, but...

Due to rumblings on other forums of micro dovetails on the go and not enough time to do it I really have to extend the deadline by a week.

Monday 6 of April. That gives (HEAPS OF) time to have a play over the coming weekend.

Personally I found the worst hurdle with making my own was getting over the 'small' thing. It only took a coulple of hours once I took the blinkers off and got into it.

Come on guy, good luck with it.

I would think that only those with a japanese saw would be able to compete as the "kerf" would be the deciding factor, that rules me out :(

Rich.

toysandboats":37g5hrxv said:
I just need to work out how to make a larger scale ruler!!

Oops, time to go!

Dave Ward
Think you would need a printers ruler..
To mark the tiny joints with a blade.... :shock:
I have one very it is a very handy

Rich":3du35oha said:
I would think that only those with a japanese saw would be able to compete as the "kerf" would be the deciding factor, that rules me out :(

Rich.

No need for a japenese saw to do this. Just make one cut down, tilt the blade and do one starting in the middle or the existing saw kerve. Or do the rest with a needle file.

Just before work I played around for a bit with my JMP. At least for the tails part I can fit about upto 8 tails per 10mm. Each tail aprox 0.7mm wide (feeler gauge) :shock:

Back