Doorstop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought some might like this idea - I needed a doorstop, I have a lathe.

• You could use anything but I had some off-cut beech kitchen worksurface, clamped and glued 3 layers to give me a spindle blank about 120 x 120 x 250.
  • Make it like you make a box, drill hole in top to push a loop through.
  • Hollow out as much as you want, no need to be precise or fancy. Go to that tin of old screws/nails that you have been keeping for 30 years 'just in case' and fill the hollow with heavy stuff
  • Glue the lid on

Rough and ready, it's a doorstop not an ornament but you could easily 'fancy it up' :)

(makes a change from bowls - Christmas present making season coming soon)

Attachments

• IMG_20221103_102912.jpg
    IMG_20221103_102912.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Great idea I shall take advantage and copy that - an excellent use for the quantity of old nails, bolts and screws I could never throw away. Thank you.

I would think that you would want to keep doors SHUT not open in this weather
Normally I would agree with you, but lately I've found it increasingly difficult to carry large objects through closed doors. Maybe it's an age thing, my dematerialisation drive has been on the blink since the Doctor went from monochrome to colour TV so a doorstop is handy sometimes.

I thought some might like this idea - I needed a doorstop, I have a lathe.

• You could use anything but I had some off-cut beech kitchen worksurface, clamped and glued 3 layers to give me a spindle blank about 120 x 120 x 250.
  • Make it like you make a box, drill hole in top to push a loop through.
  • Hollow out as much as you want, no need to be precise or fancy. Go to that tin of old screws/nails that you have been keeping for 30 years 'just in case' and fill the hollow with heavy stuff
  • Glue the lid on

Rough and ready, it's a doorstop not an ornament but you could easily 'fancy it up' :)

(makes a change from bowls - Christmas present making season coming soon)
I have a few tins of rusty old nails and screws that I just can't chuck out for some strange reason. Good to know there is a real use for them now.
Regards
John

Back