Door profile tooling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose007

Reaction score
I'm after spindle tooling for profiling 44mm internal doors, ogee, half round etc

Any recommendations ?

Freud seem to be the best bet.

Freud imho make OK ish tools etc. If your talking about the door profiling kit then it's a lot of money for what it is. Another option is to use a scribe & profile cutters mounted in a rebate/profile block. If your not planning on doing this all day everday and have a small spindle moulder (small being 2hp ish) you can use the usual euro block & cutters and get a very good finish.

Omas do a set but expensive, they went up recently :shock:

hope this helps

Blimey JasonB, you can type fast... 8)

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm planning on running 20-30- profiles each week and was going to get a Jet JWS-34 LX for the job. Would this be up to it ? If so what system/cutters ? If not what would ?

Is that 30 profiles or 15 doors? and how are you cutting the tennons? hardwood or softwood?

The jet is about the minimum, you would definatly want it with a sliding table for the scribe cuts.

The tooling dia may be a bit on the small side as well, at 160 in the table you will be limiting your choice of tooling, the profile & scribe Omas sets run at 160mm but the oned that cut a short tennon are around the 300mm mark and the panel raisers can be 200mm.

For the volume you are talking about the 50mm euro blocks will be quite limiting, better to invest in the Omas or Whitehill tooling as once you have the basic kit you can just buy different shape TCT tips.

Have a look at Scott & Sargeant for a good range of tooling and machines

Jason

One other question why 44mm internal doors, standard for internals is 35mm :?:

Jason

waterhead37":14dmhxz7 said:
Fire doors?

Could well be but its a bit of a jump from having a router table last week to making lots of firedoors and how would the OP get them tested.

Glazed internals tend to come up a bit thicker as well and the metric doors are 40mm thick.

Jason

I was asked to make a sample of 44mm doors for a shooting lodge, 4 panel.
Not my thing really, I bought the Freud Entry door set and ran two, one redwood one douglas fir. The customer is happy with the samples but wants them in oak! I have 146 to run, all being well the contract could be extended.

I'm setting up a small workshop in the newyear, so I'll be the in the market for a planer/thicknesser, couple of spindles, morticer etc and of course quality reliable tooling. So I'll be asking plenty more questions!

Well hopefully you built £10-20 into the price of each door for tooling, that way the job will pay for the machine & tooling, after that its all a bonus.

Jason

Latest posts

Back