Don't laugh.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jobsagooden wrote
My question is how do you rate their plans? , Did you use their wood if so how good is it?
Hello JG.
I am glad that you got some inspiration from my posting.
I haven't got this plan though i have got the 3 plans for the fully carved horses which i have built all three of.
They are full size and are simple enough to copy.I traced mine onto card,then onto the wood.
I didn't use their timber packs as i got a very good deal from an old timber yard that had a load of Southern Yellow Pine,which was well seasoned,and which i was told was used for carving,i was after some Tulip wood like the RHS sells,but was told this was as good,and proved to be.
The plan your looking at is mainly ply with a carved wooden head.If this is your first attempt at carving just take your time,get the shape of the head in your mind and keep looking at a decent piccy or two of the head for reference,and keep your tools sharp.
If you have any poblems let me know and i will try and help.
Good luck.
Paul.J.

Paul.J":3s6w6wq3 said:
Kafkaian wrote
Small world eh
It is indeed.
I wonder how many on this forum are from brum :?:
Paul.J.

Well, when I went there it was a wooden shack! Would've given an arm and a leg for the wooden flooring they probably burned during the brick and concrete rebuild a few years back

Paul.J":3dt1t3p2 said:
Kafkaian wrote
Small world eh
It is indeed.
Paul.J.

Born 122 Maypole Lane, Kings Heath

Paul.J":2ltxuvao said:
Well that's three.
When did you move Chas.
Paul.J.

1945 shortly after VJ day, I remember VE day street party and the first bus with lights on coming down maypole lane.

The farmhouse I moved to in worcestershire had green tomatoes piled up in one of the rooms ripening off, so although I remember the day as being sunny and having a lunch break sat on the tailboard of the removal van outside a pub in ombersley it must have been quite late in the year.

Hows that for off topic. :lol:

Thanks Paul for your advice.

Yes it is my first carving project. So this seams to be a good starter. Hopeful when he's old enough for the full size ones, i might be good enough.

Can you recommend some chisels (budget around £100)? A Book?

Many thanks

Jobsa

Make that 4.......Born and raised in Rubery, although moved out to Redditch when I got married.

Bob

Jobsa wrote
Can you recommend some chisels (budget around £100)? A Book?
Hello Jobsa.
I would say get the best gouges and chisels you can afford.They will keep their edge far longer than cheap ones which will only give you bad cuts making it hard work and so might put you off carving.
If you get the bug you might be glad tha tyou did :wink:
You might find a rounded surform very useful too.
I was lucky as i had already got a good set of Marples paring gouges and chisels from my apprentice days.
The only book i have is the Rocking Horse Shops owners Anthony Dew's
"Restoring Rocking Horses"
This book also shows you in great detail all that you need really to restore horses but also shows you how to make one from scratch.Very good book.
Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Paul.J.
p.s don't forget to post some piccys when you start. :wink:
I bought this because i restored a horse that was given to me in pieces in 3 bin liners.

Shultzy":13sxy945 said:
Make that five, born in Alum Rock.

My one set of Grandparents lived in Maitland rd, at the top of the 'rock, moved into the house when it was originally built on greenfield site.
No. 8 Tram from Matineau St, and No.11 bus from The Mineries in town if I remember correctly.

CHJ":14cwtiz3 said:
My one set of Grandparents lived in Maitland rd, at the top of the 'rock, moved into the house when it was originally built on greenfield site.
No. 8 Tram from Matineau St, and No.11 bus from The Mineries in town if I remember correctly.

I was born on corner of Alum Rock road and Dorlcote road, its half a mile from Maitland rd. They would have caught the 14 or 55 from the Old Square.
Small world

Paul.J":34dfugv1 said:
Paul.J.

Add another - now in Northfield (originally from Kings Norton - I've gone a long way in 42 years...)

Back