Domino setting out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAC1

Journeyman
Reaction score
When building cabinets using 18 mm or 12 mm ply, the Domiplate works for external joints. However I always find setting out for central joints say a fixed shelf in the middle of a cabinet a pita. Does anyone have a foolproof method of setting out and then making the joint?

I mortice both the sides and the shelf using the base/end of the Domino as the reference (in other words I don't use the fold down flap or a Domiplate at all) with the shelf cramped flat to the side it's just a case of remembering does the upper or lower face of the shelf "fall away" and then being consistent.

custard":2ka8nc0g said:
I mortice both the sides and the shelf using the base/end of the Domino as the reference (in other words I don't use the fold down flap or a Domiplate at all) with the shelf cramped flat to the side it's just a case of remembering does the upper or lower face of the shelf "fall away" and then being consistent.

+ 1 for this method.

In case you have not seen it already see link below for Supplemental Manuals for some Festool products including the Domino. There are photos / diagrams to show Custard's tip.

http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/

Thanks Custard and Charlie. That is what I do but keep thinking there must be a better way. If I work one out I will let you know

Similar to the above, for dominoing or biscuiting I use a full size spacer out of 6/9 mm MDF (from base to shelf, from back to front) and use the base of the machine as the ref... also mark shelf pin holes and hinge screw holes on the same spacer.

I have a Domino Setting Gauge. It's on one of my DVDs but I forget which. One of the early ones.

It consists of a piece of Perspex with a line scribed along one edge. The distance is exactly the distance from the base of the Domino to the centre of the cutter. 11mm if memory serves me right, which is does very rarely these days.

In use, the scribed line is placed on the centre line of the cut, a wooden batten is clamped up to it to make a reference fence and then, when the base of the Domino is located against the batten, the slot will be exactly on that original centre line.

In my case I have done one edge for the Domino and the opposite one for my BJ. It's a jolly useful gadget for situations where the mortice is further from the edge than the machine's own fence will allow.

Latest posts

Back