Domino Hell

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattty

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just in the finishing stages of a TV Cabinet, it's in a very similar style to the 'Alter' piece i recently posted. Anway when cutting the solid Oak top to size i found this-

DSCF2653.JPG

Doh!

I had carefully set out the dominos so they were 75mm in from the ends of the finished dimension, unfortunatly i had a brain fart and decided to just trim one end and cut 80mm off the other end when cutting to final size. (This was mainly down to trying to cut out a small surface check, forgetting about the dominos).

So what would you do to solve the problem?

Re make the top or try and get creative?

I decided to get creative and did this-
DSCF2655.JPG

I cut these from AB Walnut for a bit of contrast and to try and make a design feature of the cock up.

DSCF2658.JPG

Scribed round with a marking knife and the waste hogged out with a router free hand. It was then finished with a sharp chisel.

DSCF2659.JPG

All finished-
DSCF2664.JPG

I should have used a lighter timber for a better contrast, but the piece is Oak and Walnut so never mind.

I've done that with biscuits before now - so annoying. I think the solution you have used is good. The other option would be to make an endgrain plug to match the oak and try and make it disappear, but on balance probably best to show it for what it is rather than cover up.

Ed

I did that once a long time ago, so I now leave pencil marks (re-applying if necessary) on the boards showing where all biscuits/Dominos are until I've finished all cutting.

I like your solution :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

EdSutton":1pwac6eb said:
I've done that with biscuits before now - so annoying. I think the solution you have used is good. The other option would be to make an endgrain plug to match the oak and try and make it disappear, but on balance probably best to show it for what it is rather than cover up.

Ed
That was my first though, but i decided against it as i made the top from a single wide plank, which i cut up and re-jointed I though it may stand out as the rest of the end grain is in pattern.

Paul Chapman":wn3h9tdk said:
I did that once a long time ago, so I now leave pencil marks (re-applying if necessary) on the boards showing where all biscuits/Dominos are until I've finished all cutting.

I like your solution :)

Paul

I should do that too Paul. I tend to speed sand my tops before cutting to dimension so all marjs are lost.

Rubbish machine, let me take it off your hands for the cost of postage....

Paul Chapman":3a4gjhwd said:
Mattty":3a4gjhwd said:
You can hardly see it!

If you put one the other end, the customer will think it goes right the way through :wink:

Paul

Lol, i did put it both ends. I couldn't just do this 'lovely joint reinforcing detail' at one end.. :D

Beautifully executed, methinks :-D Both the cover up and the whole cabinet!

It's nice for us beginners to see some of you seasoned experts do the odd mistake as well.

I will now be training a lot to be as good in covering up my mistakes as well :lol:
(Although i have a feeling my mistakes sometimes is a little more serious...)

Nice repair patch, Matt. Could you not have used the Domino (instead of the router) to remove the bulk of the waste though? :D :wink:

Mattty":2u0hksfl said:
EdSutton":2u0hksfl said:

Ed
That was my first though, but i decided against it as i made the top from a single wide plank, which i cut up and re-jointed I though it may stand out as the rest of the end grain is in pattern.

Surely you have just cut off a section of the top with a perfect grain match, and you know exactly which piece it is, since it will be aligned with the other end of the domino mortice - this would make cutting a near invisible plug pretty simple.

I think your repair is fine, but had you wanted to persue the invisible solution it would have been fairly simple.

My dad used to say that the difference between an amateur and a pro is how well they fix their mistakes.
I think that is a fine job.
S

I hope your customer isn't planning to stand that rather fine cabinet in an alcove where the ends won't show...

Back