Domed circular font cover (Best way to go about it)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just been down to the local church to look at a job. They want a circular font cover made from oak, the problem is they want it in a dome shape standing about 9" tall so that people don't use it as a shelf to stand things on. The diameter of the font is around 800mm.

Has anyone made anything similar?

At the moment i'm trying to gather ideas on the best way to approach this project. I've thought about making it in reducing segmental section rings with a round over moulding on the top of each ring to graduate into the next one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

I reckon I'd start with an octagon and 8 curved ribs. If you ran a groove along the ribs you should be able to slide some thin oak-faced ply in, with a little persuasion. That shape would give the chance to make a bit of a show of the meeting point of the ribs.

The one with the fish and the netting?

It looks a bit heavy for my taste. I reckon that curved ribs, and somewhat finer, would give a better look.

Think of a number and triple it if you're going to get involved with carving!! :)

I'll pass on the carving :lol: I think I get what you are saying :? I'm generally better with diagrams or picture reference than a worded explanation #-o

Back