Dolls House Room 3!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it's that time again!!!

If anyone's still interested in my wip's I'll start one on this year's room??????

Merry Christmas everyone and a happy new year
xx

Yes please, my wife , and therfore I, have recently become involved in doll's houses and it is a fascinating little world developing many skills

David

toysandboats":1kztygu9 said:
Yes please, my wife , and therfore I, have recently become involved in doll's houses and it is a fascinating little world developing many skills

David

It really is fascinating trying to get everything to scale isn't it.
My other half keeps saying why don't I build a dolls house, but I find the thought of a whole house with the same theme a bit daunting....
Sticking to my rooms I can do different themes with each one :D

image.jpeg
She bought the Aga and I built the surrounding unit though she then did all the "brickwork" and painted the cupboards.
Sometimes hard to believe it is about 1/12 scale.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,529
toysandboats":2hlb2b78 said:
She bought the Aga and I built the surrounding unit though she then did all the "brickwork" and painted the cupboards.
Sometimes hard to believe it is about 1/12 scale.

That's awesome. Do the doors open?
I find it very hard making dainty things in miniature... most of my makes end up looking robust!
What are the bricks made from?

I really couldn't do without my superglue accelerator spray or my glue gun!!

Yes please - I've promised my grand-daughter that I'll make her one, and I only have a couple of years to finish it (I'm a slow worker :wink: )

galleywood":3kke1s21 said:
When is that likely to be?

I'll be starting it in the new year.... I have some arranging to do in the workshop first, and a theme to finalise.
I have an idea in my head that won't go away so thinking it's gonna be that.... but need to think on the execution a bit more.

Mdd, no the doors don't open on that piece but on subsequent units they do. I've now bought 2440x1220 sheets of mdf in 2mm, 4mm, 6mm and 9mm thickness and can now make things that look "right". I agree that mitre glue (superglue and accelerant) is the way forward.

The bricks are dolls "brick slips" about £18 for 1000. You stick them on like full sized tiles and then grout with a mortar-like substance. Bought as a powder and mixed with water.
There are several dolls house internet providers, most of whom sell items from Streets Ahead (a wholesaler).

I recommend going to a dolls house fair and studying what is there. You buy a few things but get some ideas and go home and adapt them - just like the full-size woodwork world. Fair Dates

New tools are another little world. I just "had" to buy a scrollsaw, only the low end Jet one but it opens up a whole new world of shapes and precision. Next will be a router table for the dremel and a set of proxxon miniature router bits. Xacto 52tpi hand saw is brilliant, miniature 000 crosshead screwdriver for hinge screws etc etc. No end to the new toys!

David

Wow.... sounds like you're well into the miniature world!!!
I only do 1 room a year for a village show.

We have a dolls house shop in our town which is great. As you say.... so many ideas!!! Fairs just blow my mind.
I have a friend who's step father owns a well known doll house furniture company. .. sells a picture for 100's!

There are so many toys I would like.... hence my workshop re shuffle. ... I just don't have the space for the things I have, and the things I want!!! I have a list as long as my arm!
I'm hoping the shuffle will shorten the list by a couple!!

So I've finally decided on a theme. ...
many moons ago, when I was a teen, I used to do junior mini rods racing.... my mini was my pride and joy. ....it was also covered in cartoon characters

So, the theme is going to be a garage, with my mini rod in it.

This will pose a challenge as it's going to have to be 1:24
I've acquired a airfix mini from eBay that is not finished as a Base for my mini rod (I'm not that skilled as to carve a car out of wood! )

So first picture.. the unfinished mini I've bought.... not the best picture as my phone won't take a picture small enough!

It'll be stripped out dented up, race equipment put in and painted up to match my mini rod.

So next I'll build the carcass of the room. ..

Attachments

• 20160210_173012-1-1-1-1-1.jpg
    20160210_173012-1-1-1-1-1.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 331

Latest posts

Back