Dog head hammer for saw tensioning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunbarhamlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I've got a Livingston rip saw doing a Rolf Harris impression on the back stroke, so presume it needs retensioning.

What weight hammer should I be looking for, and as there seems to be a dearth dog heads on the market (which is a PITA even if not a PETA thing) what alternative would you suggest?

Thanks
Steve

I had to do a bit of googling to find out what a dog-head hammer was. Very interesting, especially for those of us who just buy TCT circular saw blades and replace them when they get dull>

Yeah, the idea of standing in line of sight of a 30" plus circular saw that could have had cracks stopped or spot repaired and then balanced and tensioned by beating a tattoo on it is a little disturbing.

I stick to grunt power wherever possible - more satisfying than working out at a gymnasium and the neural stop loop I got on my birthday works better than a no volt switch for my saws.

I have a fellow looking at making a head for me, just not sure what weight I should go for.

Cheers
Steve

Send the seller an email, and offer to pay the paypal fees, or make a bank transfer. I do this quite often with US sellers - the reason for the restriction is often just that they haven't thought about widening it out or don't want a flood of asian fraud emails etc, and nearly all of them say fine if asked politely.

Steve,

Can you explain for us newbies what the problem is with your saw and how you propose to fix it?

Hi Jim

This is a new step in the saw maintenance process for me, and there are folks here better qualified, but here goes:

To work well, the saw plate needs to be stiiffened to dampen vibration and so readily maintain a true line in the cut.

Over the past 150 years-ish, my old rip saw has loosened, becoming flabby.

For a hand saw, bandsaw or circular saw this is achieved by selectively stretching the metal plate using aimed hammer blows so that the edge is under tension. The fun bit is that too much is as bad as too little - and we're pretty much limited to ancient texts for guidance, so fun times ahead learning by trial and error.

Cheers
Steve

Sorry for coming to the party so late!

A lightweight hammer is better than a heavy one. 6-10 oz ballpein hammers work just fine. Make sure to polish the main face of the hammer. It's mostly a one time deal--unless one's child uses it for hammering nails...

The face of the hammer just needs a slight curve--very slight. Too much causes too big a dimple. Too little and one has a larger risk of creasing the saw plate from the edge of the face of the hammer.

Remove the handle from the saw. That way you can ensure you get all the way back under where the handle is bolted and that the plate isn't the cause of any wonky wave in the steel. There's another reason...below.

Mark the saw plate down the center on both sides every 2" or 3". 2" for a really loose blade. 3" for uniformity. I use what we call lumber crayons, some use chalk. Make sure the marks are in the "same" location on each side. They need to be reasonably close, not engineer close.

I begin at the heel. I start at the heel to get a feel for the steel--some are softer than others. 2-3 lightish taps per mark, do one mark, flip the saw and same number of taps at the corresponding mark.

You can always go over the saw once or twice more. So don't over do it.

An anvil is very handy. A piece of long railroad track even better. Mine is about 24" in length. I also have a piece of milder steel 1.25" thick I use sometimes. Point is the density is very good. You can--and I have--use a log section of a very dense species of wood. Don't ask me why, but at that point I use a light brass hammer. I have used a caulking mallet on the wood block as well. The technique to strike the saw plate is a little different depending on whether a steel or wood "anvil" is used. But the "strength" of the blow is roughly equal (a bit lighter on the wood block). Using wood takes 2-3 more passes, but there's also a greater risk of damaging the saw plate if you use too heavy a hammer or hit too hard.

As a general note. There's a difference between a "loose" blade and a blade which has a slight arc along its length. With a slight arc, you can actually bend the saw back on itself towards the convex side (if the blade curves left, bend to the opposite side). Take a bit of getting use to. Once the saw is fairly even along its length, retensioning is easier as you are not simultaneously removing bend and making the saw plate stiffer.

General note two...you can also over do the tensioning. A couple things will or may happen. The saw plate will have little "natural" flex to it--to stiff. Another possibility is you will introduce twist over the saw plate. Check the "flex" of the saw before tensioning several times to see and feel the present state. A loose saw will bend quite easily. One with tension takes more effort. It's good to have a benchmark around. A saw which you know is "proper."

So test cut after the first pass (assuming the blade is straight at that point). If the saw rattles in the cut during the back stroke, make sure there is sufficient set to the saw for the species being cut. Some woods are grabby, some shear more cleanly. If the saw goes down and back in the cut smoothly, can be held flat out in front of you and "droops" fairly equally (nice arc) as each side of the saw is flipped, a single finger through the hand hold with the blade hanging down and appears straight, you are probably good to go.

Well off to the shop.

Take care, Mike

Thanks for the input Mike, most helpful. (Jim - Mike is the aforementioned fellow in the know - Saw Maker Extraordinaire)

I'm going to practice on some coil before I put the Livingston under the hammer - it's a tatty old saw, but it's my tatty old saw, and I'm quite enamoured of it.

And no need to apologise for entering the fray late - wisdom is worth waiting for, and besides, if you're not tapping away at a keyboard you must be factoring more wonderful saws :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve and Mike,

Thanks for all this - I now know why my Axminster Victor 26" crosscut handsaw's tip vibrates as it comes back. This is one of the saws I've been using to practice sharpening on. I've had reasonable success with this sharpening business, but now I can get a hammer out, start bashing and see what happens!

Steve, now that Mike has posted I realise I know of him. I was on David Charlesworth's drawer making course last week (most highly recommended, by the way) and he let me try his dovetail saw made by Mike. Very, very nice saw in my limited experience.

Latest posts

Back