does this count as a hand tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
paid a tenner for this ages ago and completely forgot about it, doing a tidy up today and thought i would give it a try

drill1.jpg

drill2.jpg

It drills surprisingly well and there seems to be an amount of friction generated when winding that causes the drill to advance by itself or you can help it along with the top wheel.

can anyone tell me more about it and what size the chuck key might be? the one from my B&D is a bit too small

I've got one rather like this too, save mine has a ratchet mechanism on the top for incremental drilling 'automatically'. It does a fine job in wood with just hand tightening of the chuck on the dril bit shank, but I'd like to give it a go on metal - chuck key advice appreciated..

tombo":3ht07ggp said:
p
It drills surprisingly well and there seems to be an amount of friction generated when winding that causes the drill to advance by itself or you can help it along with the top wheel.

I have a drill with a similar auto-feed mechanism.

It works well for large holes in steel, but I find it very difficult to control the feed for making smaller holes in softer materials (e.g. 3mm in brass).

Feed comes the the flywheel not rotating quite as fast as the shaft (it's driven by a bearing). The difference in revs provides the feed. On mine the friction (tension on the bearing) is adjustable.

I am now looking for the more common ratchet/manual type for more controllable drilling (and milling).

BugBear (who sometime needs the force and/or accuracy of a drilling rig)

Sorry to cry 'me too', but you've got to get your gloating in where you can. Got the ratchet feed version on the bench by the forge. Last used it the other day to drill some 3/8" holes in some old bed rail angle iron - just the job. Just a hand tighten chuck on mine though.

Dee

Back