Does temperature effect pressure pot casting as much as a table pour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Christmas break I had planned to try river table casting for the first time. Upon reading the tech data sheet of glasscast50 I discovered that temp and moisture are very important. My wood workshop is cold and damp at this time of year. As epoxy resin is so expensive I think I will leave the table pour until the summer. Then I got thinking and wondered if I could still try some wood turning casting. I had planned to cast using a pressure pot and wondered if the cooler temp would upset that process also.
Am I best just leaving the epoxy casting until the summer and or I rebuild my wood shop?
Many thanks in advance,
Simon

you want a median temp of 5 - 10 deg C in the workshop for a couple of days before doing the pour to safegaurd against things going wrong while curing. I use an oil radiator, works very well.

Cooler = slower curing generally, in the summer I drop my catalyst to less than 1% by weight to prevents fast cures and cracking.

Epoxies are usually a fixed mixing ratio & you mess with it at your peril, temperature will speed setting & curing and large masses will go off quicker too.
With polyesters the catalyst ration can be varied but there is a point below which cure will be affected.
A runaway exothermic reaction can be quite spectacular!

Back