Does anyone know......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been asked to source replacement poles and frames for a number of trade union banners which are extremely costly items .

Ideally the poles would be 10foot in height and 2 inch thick hardwood dowel with a carved finial.I have thought about parasol fittings so they break down but am unsure as to attaching cross members.

The whole thing must be of a knock down construction so it can be transported to different venues but not have a cheap look or feel as these banners are by there nature to look grand and have a wow factor .

The type of thing im after is the num banners fbu banners which declare a motto and region.

i have done some searches on the tinternet and have so far come up with a blank .....

if anyone is interested in a project of this sort or knows an off the peg solution then this could be lucrative as other union regions would also be interested in orders roughly 30 and this is just for our union .This forum always amazes me with tips and knowledge and so i hope someone could help i feel for me this is a great honour to be asked to get involved with something that lasts for hundreds of years and make others proud.

Hi.

Something like this came up a few weeks ago on here. i can't find the post at the moment.

The joints you're describing are called Screw Joints.
CSCRE114.jpg

They have to be very strong due to the high stresses that the pole will be under, especially a 10' one!

A DIY solution that was suggested before was to use dowel screws to connect the pole sections with a 'sleeve' of either brass or steel tubing to cover the joint and provide stiffnes.

For the cross members, some large screw in eyes could be fitted in the ends of the poles. These eyes would have an internal diameter of slightly more than the upright poles. These would be fed over the ends of the uprights. Some form of screw-in stud could be used to stop the cross members sliding down the poles.

No idea if any of that makes sense. I'll try and figure out a sketch later if it'd help?

that sounds just the job....my next question is where to buy 2" hardwood poles and where to find suitable finials???

2" hardwood poles, sound a bit like stair handrails. If you can find them without the normal mop-stick flat.

xy

tulsk":x1cmi4f2 said:
stand behind me then mate, I'm in both!
John

How to you get in both the Fire Brigades Union and the Miners Union, thats what the NMU is?

I'm FBU so no stoning. :D

NUM you mean? If so, I worked underground for 12 years before they levelled our pit. I still have my union card and as far as I know am a life member. I have been a Fireman for 16 years: it seems there are a few of us on here, which is something I was unaware of.
Cheers, John

fantastic another fireman who is a woodie... like i say amazing the talent and knowledge on here.

Suppose i better hide my calor heater if ever i have a bash :oops: :oops:

It was an important union meeting at the num building in barnsley that inspired the FBU national union leaders to upgrade and repair the banners we have and to sanction the funding of more embroidered banners for regions.

If you have never been the place it is amazing .Decked out in old retired union banners from Armthorpe,Grimethorpe,Cudworth,Selby and loads of other regions . I spent hours looking at the paneling and flooring of this grand hall and if i go again i will post photos so everyone can see i'm not just an anorak ranting trade unionist.
The room has a feel of a cathedral and is a tribute to the carpenters who loving fitted it out...inspiring

I was aware of one other FF on here, seem that makes 4 of us now. I've only been in 2 and half years but I'm a youngen.

Latest posts

Back