Dobsonian Telescope

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandip

Reaction score
Hi everybody

Sooo I’m very inexperienced, and have only built one thing...a workbench. I have now decided to build a dobsonian telescope. I did a search on the forum and there was the odd post, but the guys who posted haven’t been online for a while(2014!)
I have ordered a book by Richard Berry, which is widely regarded as the definitive text, so I’ll refer to that. Just wondered if anyone else had built one, and had any tips? I have a fairly limited set of hand tools, and a power drill - I’ve just been buying things as I need them.
I think I will keep it fairly simple to start with - (like my woodwork) I’m very inexperienced with telescopes, but building my workbench and all the mistakes that went with it(!) has taught me an awful lot, hopefully this build will do likewise!

Thank you 😬

Sandip

Hi Sandip,
I have made many dobsonian telescopes, including the mirrors.:)
I have been a member of "Stargazers Lounge" for 10 years and suggest that you join, Stargazers Lounge. It is U.K. based, there are many reports to read and plenty of good folks there to help you.
Nigel

Hi Nigel

Thank you very much. I’ll get onto that right away. I did watch a 90 minute YouTube video of John Dobson grinding his own mirror - strangely absorbing! I was thinking of giving it a go once I find a a guide that is simple enough for me!

Sandip

Back