Do you know what is in your wood store?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
As I had been planing and thicknessing some African Black Walnut (post in Design), I thought I would have a dig around in my wood store and see if I could do the same with some other timber whilst the workshop was a mess.
First up were 2 boards marked as apple. I have no idea where I got these from but suspect it was my late brother-in-law who was keen woodworker and turner. On closer inspection!
Photo0160.jpg

Hugely bowed, cupped and warped but I eventually got to
IMG_0399.jpg

I'm now thinking of some cheese boards?
The next piece was an off-cut from a trunk that I helped salvage from Cassiobury Park in Watford. I'm told it was Black Mulberry but as I was more keen not to get asked any awkward questions I may have got that wrong. Quite a yellowy tinge to this and I'm thinking of a box lid, but no idea what the box needs to be made of?
IMG_0397.jpg

The next piece is holly (from Pugh's auction I think) and rock hard! Cupped quite badly but flattened OK. It does have some dark marking and I'm not sure whether this is because I have stored it flat?
IMG_0401.jpg

The final piece (for now) is a small piece of Sycamore that a sawmill in Suffolk threw in when I bought some other bits. The idea was simply for a breadboard. However on planing this, the figuring is amazing. The board is flat (honest) and the rippling is brilliant. Too good for a breadborad I think!
IMG_0403.JPG

Daft as it may sound, I really enjoy sorting through my timber and I'm just starting to realise I don't know exactly what I've got!

Attachments

• Photo0160.jpg
    Photo0160.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 240
quite agree. I get a real kick out of wood at the raw, waney edge stage. That sorting, then planing when you first expose the surprise under the muck and the grain pops out. I love that. You just never know what figure will be waiting for you. That's the thing with wood it gives from the moment you start working with it.

Well I bought some Burmese Teak from a guy who bought it in the 60s!

Pete

Well, I've been lucky enough to recently aquire this little lot so at least I know what's here. :D As size reference, the trailer in the background is an 8 x 4 body double axle and the longest board on the gravel is over 3 metres.
Now......as far as my own existing stock well that's a just vague idea and distant memory as it would take me a week to sort out#-o

Bob

Attachments

• wood 6.jpg
    wood 6.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 170
  • wood 5.jpg
    wood 5.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 170
  • wood 4.jpg
    wood 4.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 170
  • wood 2.jpg
    wood 2.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 170
Glynne":colhqayn said:
As I had been planing and thicknessing some African Black Walnut (post in Design), I thought I would have a dig around in my wood store and see if I could do the same with some other timber whilst the workshop was a mess.

Interesting post, but my immediate reaction was - what the hell is African black walnut? So I looked it up and found something which is clearly completely unrelated to walnut, which are temperate zone species, and from the pictures doesn't look much like walnut either. I suppose it's a marketing ploy but it really does muddy the water.

Funnily enough I was sorting my woodstore today, which confirmed that I have more ash and sycamore than I can ever envisage using and several quite chunky boards of birds eye maple (the biggest 96x8x1 ins) which I bought because a mate wanted to dispose of it and I got caught up in that all too common buying fever when confronted by nice timber. God knows what I will do with it because I'm not even that keen on the stuff. Probably still be there whenI die, but you never know, inspiration might strike. I too have some nice clean holly felled from the garden some years ago and sitting drying in the loft ever since. Lovely stuff to work with but again looking for the right project.

Last year I felled an old pear tree from the garden and that too is now in the loft. It will be interesting to se what it's like when fully dried. I also have a big chunk of some sort of exotic which I found in a reclamation yard many years ago. It's a pretty dull brown but, when planed is a really bright orange. No idea what it is but it would make a really startling box interior where it would retain its colour in the absence of light.

Jim

Sorry Jim
I meant American Black Walnut not African.
I do have some African Blackwood and that along with advancing years.....
I also have some pear which dried out really well but is incredibly hard and very brittle. I did try some half blind dovetails but had so many problems with the pins that I gave up. I have another piece which I will try and make a box but will mitre the corners instead. I'm sure there would be a lot of takers for the birds eye maple if you ever decide to sell it, especially amongst the box makers.
It might be interested to see who has the most exotic timber, off the top of my head I know I have some Japanese Oak but I'm sure that can easily be bettered.
Cheers,
Glynne

Glynne":15pjvzal said:
Where's the pictures then?

Its in the Gloat thread, page two cant seem to link to the post.

Pete

I might just have to drag out my Japanese Oak if we are going oriental!
No idea of the age however and I very doubt that it will have anything like the figuring of your teak.
If your supplier has anyone more can you let me know as I'm not a million moles away.

Glynne
Having seen your wood sheds, and not to mention the stuff in the loft (green with envy :mrgreen: ) I reckon it will take a month of Sundays to discover all the gems that have got hidden in there. :D

Latest posts

Back