Knowing when its not your day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchhounds

Established Member
Reaction score
I get limited time in my workshop and my next project is a Japanese Tool chest. Picked up some free lumber boards a few weeks ago. Today i had a free day so decided to start milling. The boards were cupped when i got to them used a thicknessing sled. First thing, my glue gun broke so solidered on using glue sticks and a butane torch to melt (I know!). Milling just wasnt going smoothly and my board ended up way under thicknessed once i got one side flat. Dust extraction was pitiful.

At this point I just took it on the chin. Not my day. Found it quite liberating to just pull the plug and say 'not my day today'. Instead of bodging through I just wrote this one off. Instead, did some tidying, bit of bandsaw maintenance, refinished my workbench and made a quick and dirty bench dog. Had some coffee, listened to a podcast or two.

'Sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you'

I can sympathise. Many years ago when I was young- read that as stupid! I was cutting a blank on the table saw to do some turning, at some point I had taken the riving knife out which I don’t remember doing 🤷‍♂️

Anyway the blank pinched on the blade and was fired into my ribs. Crumbs did that hurt, but I was okay so carried on. After putting back the riving knife I cut my blank, mounted onto the lathe. Turned it on only to have the blank fire off and smack my forearm.

I was okay and nothing broken. I’m not a superstitious bloke but I do know when not to push my luck. That was it, lights off and went and watched the telly for the afternoon 🤪

Like you do! with all you fantastic work!!
Flattery will get you everywhere 😁 have had a tough week this week, need to move stuff around again as I discovered that the lathe and bench grinder are too close together so I can't get the swing to sharpen my gouges so having to rely on diamond cards.

Back