do you freecycle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst as I posted previously, I won't let people come to the house, I did have a great experience a couple of years ago when I had a very old fridge to dispose of.
I delivered it for an old couple living in a deprived area and discovered that they had been keeping milk in a bucket of water for 2 weeks since their old fridge died.

The one I gave was worth absolutely nothing - but to them it was priceless and they both cried - a very humbling experience for me and one I'll never forget. I think it's hard to accept that in this day and age, there are stil folk who have absolutely nothing and struggle to buy basic needs :shock: :?:

On the other hand, my daughter lives in an area which doesn't need freecycle. Unwanted items of any description are just put outside and they are gone within hours. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

Lons,
Years ago I lived in Germany and one day every month was designated for 'recycling'. You could leave anything outside and if someone wanted it they took it. Anything left the next morning was collected by the council- simple and effective.

oddsocks":3mijwspk said:
Lons,
Years ago I lived in Germany and one day every month was designated for 'recycling'. You could leave anything outside and if someone wanted it they took it. Anything left the next morning was collected by the council- simple and effective.
Apparently they have the same system in Ohio. Seems like a very good idea, though Freecycle seems to work pretty well up here.

The thing that does annoy me is the way the "household waste sites" up here don't make any attempt at informal recycling. Everything seems to go miles away to commercial operators. The Newport Pagnell civic amenity site down the road from where we used to live could be a goldmine for useful stuff - you paid the operators a small sum for any item removed. Our best buy was a nearly new Sebo upright vacuum cleaner, PAT tested on the site, for a fiver.
Seems to be a lot of variation between councils; wonder what the economics of the different methods might be?

oddsocks":3o2zwe7e said:
Lons,

Great idea, would surely stop at least some of the fly tipping?

Some Freecycling success this weekend...

... dug up 5 trees (small ones!!) and various bushes ... all collected with no timewasters :)

... then collected some hardcore (to be 'whacked' down to form part of the base for SWMBO's aviary... current project)

... cleared the old greenhouse ... all pots etc collected pronto.

All the genuine cr*p went to the dump and a few 'better' bits now on ebay.

Then it started raining so I had a bath and watched Arsenal become a laughing stock for the 3rd time in 4 weeks. Perhaps Wenger should check Freecycle to see if anyones giving away any decent players :roll: and take the ones he's got to the dump!!

Roy

I have given as well as taken from Freecycle mostly with good outcomes except those that have not the decency to answer e-mails after they have asked for something I have offered(why reply to an offer if they don't want it)

On the bright side I received (a little while back now) this from someone who offered it
Yes it was in this condition when I received it. I did give him a pen I made as a thank you

DSCF0003.jpg

Latest posts

Back