Mobile storage and work surface

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattChow

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure if this is the correct section to post this in so mods feel free to move it to the correct place.

I have a very small single garage workshop / garage where I do some wood mashing, some bits of mechanics and all that kind of stuff as a weekend warrior.

A few years back I decided to sort my storage out and moved over to using Euro containers, mostly 300 x 400mm in various heights. I also have some large 400 x 600 x 440mm high bins for paint cans and cable reels etc. They all stack very nicely as thats how the euro boxes work.

I have one fixed bench which is just a 2400mm slab of worktop along the back wall but it never seems to be that usable.

Today I had a play with some scraps and made up some dollys for the larger containers and adding another offcut to the top it makes a pretty effective mobile bench and storage that all stacks away in a corner when not in use.
20200702-204934.jpg

20200702-205102.jpg

Adding some ribs to the underside of the work surface locks everything into place.

The only problem so far is no access to the storage once its set up, however you do seem to be able to buy them with access https://www.3jc.co.uk/parts-and-storage ... e-90-litre

Whats people opinions? If I get rid of my fixed bench I can then have different tops on there for router table, MFT style, a sunken one for the mitre saw to keep the in and out feed at the same level. Anyone done something similar with the euro containers?

I was just thinking of adding a rib on the underside which fits to the inner dimensions of the box in the same way they stack together if that makes sense.

The smaller 300 x 400 x Zmm boxes are similar to MAKPAC / Systainer size but a fraction of the price eg £6 for a 290mm high one. Plastic seems higher quality pkastic and more durable than MAKPAC. Granted they don't lock together but for the home gamer a ratchet strap sorts that out. They will also stack onto these larger boxes which means you can have a big box at the bottom with dust sheets in and then various smaller ones stacked on top with tools.

Hello again Matt
Presume you may have seen this video ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDeZaPhmY8Y

So how about buying something like this cheap arc welder for 40 quid, a tenners worth of angle iron or box for the frame, (if you don't have any metal lying around that is).
1.JPG

A 4" grinder you may own already, about a fivers worth of 2.5mm rods
A wee cross pein hammer, some long steel masonry nails for slag.
Stick on a pair of glasses and auld hat and you would be good to go.
That would suit your space saving needs.

A heckuva lot cheaper than an A&E visit!

Tom

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 312
Bloody hell, I'd not seen that before, he was lucky not to do more damage.

I do have a MIG already so it would be fairly easy!

So what are you suggesting, a frame around the top to lock it on or legs etc that go either side?

Back