do you freecycle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theartfulbodger

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just started, seems like a good way to get rid of usable stuff that would otherwise be tipped, and a good way to get hold of usable stuff that would otherwise be tipped :)

Picked up a bit of worktop the other day 126 x 90 x 4cm damn heavy but destined for something shed related... I was dabbling with the idea of making a router table but think I'll bite the bullet and get the Dakota from Rutlands and keep fingers crossed. Probably use some of it making a mitre saw stand.

Missed out on an unnamed brand bandsaw earlier. Emailed to say yes please 3 minutes after the offer email was sent. Some people must sit and wait for the good stuff I guess.

Anyone else freecycle their stuff? Any stories good or bad to share?

yes - got my vacuum bag pump and oil fired rads for the workshop by placing wanted adverts and have given away things from coat hangers, futons, mattresses, magazines, computers, digital cameras and other items I've forgotten about. I react to the wanted requests as well as asking and responding to offers. I know that everything I have listed has gone.

Often it's too much hassle to advertise and post on ebay and the recipients are always grateful

Brand new cooker for the kitchen and a NORRIS adjustable smoother :shock: 8) 8) 8)

Lady with chickens has all my shavings after I posted to say they were going to be binned......

Andy

I sent a toilet that way - seemed a shame to skip it as it was in good nick.

Ive had a few bits and bobs, and also given some away.

Gave a pushchair away on there last week.
Got some mirror doors (to cut up) a while ago.
Got a freeview box off there too.

The bad thing about it is the people that email, asking for stuff, then you say yes, they make a time to collect, then never bother to turn up, or even say they decided they didnt want it afterall. :evil: :evil:

I gave some away couple of TVs and a bike, I got a bit suspicious of the last chap who took a TV - he already had two and some other stuff in the back of his LR Discovery. Feel sure a lot goes to the car boots.

I've had a few results with Freecycle.... some inline skates (great source of bearings for my contraptios), some old but usable WW tools from a retired chap named Jerry (cheers Jerry), and a brand new fridge compressor for my silent compressor (still at the planning stage).

I've given away shed loads of gear including PC's, a snooker table, garden bits and allsorts.

But the bit that gripes me is when some Freecyclers develop...
'Car Park Attendant Syndrome'

... they are giving something away but they tag the offer with 'I'll wait 48 hrs before deciding who I'll give it to', thereby inciting all who request to write a little sob story explaining (or begging) why he / she needs it more than the next guy. Then said Freecycler can 'Lord-It' over the replies and exert thier little bit of power and decide which 'lucky' mortal will be granted the piece of cr*p offered.

If you're giving something away...GIVE IT AWAY! Period!

OK... Rant Over.

Roy

Roy. Perhaps they are simply trying to weed out the ones who use it to make dosh, those who collect and the next day the item is listed on Ebay.
Just a thought.

Also if it just goes to the first person to hit reply then that discrimiates against those who aren't online 24/7 watching Freecycle.

It's not necessarily about sob-stories; if I get two response to a post where one says "I'll take it" and the other says "Thank you for offering your X - it would be really useful to me. Many thanks" then I will give it to the second one - politeness costs nothing. But then maybe I'm old-fashioned...

I agree with softtop- normally I wait until the evening and then respond - I tend to choose based on location and their flexibility in collecting times rather than sob story.

matt":1ufd9o6p said:
It's slightly alarming when the whole family, kids and all, turn up in a pickup :)

I won't let anyone collect from my house after one of my mates gave some stuff away and was burgled very soon afterwards. he's convinced they used it as a reason to suss the place out.
my brother is less fussy so i've given stuff away through him and it works very well. Got rid of a Bosch dishwasher a couple of weeks ago and he said he had 7 emails within 10mins of listing, 4 of whom he knew from past dealings were traders.

Bob

MIGNAL":34exkxwg said:
Roy. Perhaps they are simply trying to weed out the ones who use it to make dosh, those who collect and the next day the item is listed on Ebay.
Just a thought.

If it was worth listing on Ebay that's where it would be, not on Freecycle, unless I couldn't be bothered with the hassle in which case I wouldn't give a hoot if somebody else did so.

softtop":34exkxwg said:
Also if it just goes to the first person to hit reply then that discrimiates against those who aren't online 24/7 watching Freecycle.

It's not necessarily about sob-stories; if I get two response to a post where one says "I'll take it" and the other says "Thank you for offering your X - it would be really useful to me. Many thanks" then I will give it to the second one - politeness costs nothing. But then maybe I'm old-fashioned...

Quite agree. When I give stuff away I don't sit glued to the screen ready to throw it out to the first responder. I get on with my life and check back later and generally will offer it to whoever seems most appropriate, as long as they're polite, as they usually are.
Trouble is, after offering it, 9 times out of 10 I get no further communication from the asker. Then what do I do? 24 hours later I've still got it! So I offer it to another. Same response. Then I try to post a RE-OFFERED and a smart-a**e jobs-worth moderater replies with "sorry, you've already offered that. I can't put it through!" So it ends up at the dump and I don't know why I bothered.

If I'd just offered it immediately maybe the bod who asked would still be at their PC and would say "cheers mate...I'm on my way"

Roy

I've used freecycle to pass on stuff that was left in the garage by the previous occupants. Had a tumble dryer, very old apple desktop PC and various other bits and pieces that we didn't want.

I either chose based on how they responded or picked names out of a hat, but if they sounded suss I stayed clear. I think you do need to be careful. You do get time wasters too.

Thought about it quite a few times but as mentioned theres always the odd thief casing places or people letting thieves know if somewhere looks an easy target and thats enough to put me off - especially as where I live seems to be a bit thievey anyways (not a million miles away from Basvegas).

Luckly (!?) there are some needier types in the near family so not too much goes to waste, I get a bit annoyed sometimes by wastage but really if you do try and succeed with some things then its a lot more than some people do (most timber I use is salavged/second hand rubbish) - known some in the past that just throw all their furniture in the skip every few years beause they fancy re-decorating, that really does my head in.

No skills":9o8mli0r said:
especially as where I live seems to be a bit thievey anyways (not a million miles away from Basvegas).

Hey No skills...

I'm sure your name isn't accurate. Where in Bas are you? I'm in Lee Chapel South. We try to pretend were posh over here... yeah right!

What did you think of the graffiiti to the Basilwood sign? I thought it was funny at first, untill I found out it was some richardhead from Southend... like they've got anything to shout about! The only reason we tolerate Southend is coz it masks the smell from Canvey!

Only joking....

Roy

Hi Doorframe

My names pretty accurate :lol:

Not Bas but do make the odd visit, near lakeside myself. Had a chuckle bout the sign :) Dont worry bout the smell from canvey - climate change will sort that :twisted: JK!!

Like most things in life, you can have good and bad experiences on freecycle.

I've given lots away but i've never been quick enough to receive anything yet :roll:

I've had people mess me about but that's got nothing to do with freecycle - it's the people. I also no longer let anyone collect anything from the house after having some iffy bloke come round once. I just arrange to meet in town. fortunately I work in town so can usually arrange for them to call in the shop at their convenience.

One nice experience was when I offered some computer memory and the couple who wanted it were making computers up from bits off freecycle for those less well off. It turned out that he was a friend from way back who I hadn't seen for over forty years. Small world as we both now live in North Wales but originated in Stockport. Finished up having a good old catch-up chin wag.

Another thing you could do with unwanted items, if you don't mind someone making a buck or two, is to take them down to the local re-cycle centre.

We have a couple of places nearby where we can take stuff. One is a community project where things are done up and sold on, another is the local tip but even here, nothing that is useable goes to waste. Anything of any use is usually sold on for a very small price so others benefit and the item gets a new lease of life. At least that's how it appears to work here in Colwyn Bay.

regards

Brian

I have never freecycled. I didn't get on with the site. I find the navigation to see anything impossible so give up.

I have once put an old PC table on gumtree for £10. The guy turned up and look rather puzzled when I asked for the cash, turns out he had seen the add on freecycle for free.

Back