Do we have an equivalent to this in the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, we have NVQs don't you know!

The Germans also have a similar system with their carpentry guilds. I have worked with both CdD and Wandergesellen and they are probably the most dedicated and conscientious carpenters I have worked with. The Wandergesellen wear a very distinctive outfit of black corduroy flared trousers, waistcoat and jacket with a collarless shirt, wide brimmed hat and very shiny buttons. They usually have their ear pierced which rumour has it is done by their last master before they leave for their journey by nailing them to the door. I'd love to think this is still true.
The Compagnon stuff is quite secretive, we never managed to get out of the CdD guys exactly what goes on during their training or passing out ceremonies but it is a real brotherhood and they like to keep it that way.

There is some more info and some interesting videos here http://www.en.charpentiers.culture.fr/ it's in English and the vids have subtitles.

The Carpenters Fellowship www.carpentersfellowship.co.uk of which I am a member, are trying to bring a more formal education to framing carpenters in this country. So far they have managed to get an NVQ2 and NVQ3 formalised and have built strong links with the CdD and CHARPENTIERS SANS FRONTIERES with a number of apprentices spending some time over in France and with the French guys coming over here. I hope we can continue to build strong links with all of these groups to help preserve our trade and to increase the strength of our skills.

Not quite apprentice course but for old traditional wood working skills take a look at IBTC at oulton broad, can post link to site so search for ibtc

yes it may be wooden boats but the fundimentals are still the carpentry skills

Hi guys, it's not something I plan on taking up, I was just very interested in how they were keeping traditions alive, the whole travelling around the country thing learning life skills as well as your trade seemed to be a very good way to learn. It seems to teach a way of life rather than just a trade.

Latest posts

Back