Do vari focal glasses really get easier?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my second pair of varifocals from Specsavers and have been mightily chuffed with them, tho' now I find that for really close work at the bench its better to take them off - I seem to have much clearer vision about 300mm distance from the worktop. If I keep them on everything becomes a little bit blurred for close work. Only down side is that they can't be fitted with Reactolite lenses (or so I was told a couple of years ago) so you need an extra pair of sunglasses but things may have changed since then - Rob

Woodbloke.

Varifocals are available in 'reactalite' - which is a brand name by the way :) They are also referred to as Transitions, photochromic etc..

Basically all the major brands of varifocals offer a reactalite option, and are usually available in either brown or grey (brown is better btw, it helps filter red-light and UV more efficiently than grey).

Another inside tip. The cost of a pair of standard varifocals to the opticians are between £10 to £40, so shop around, Vision Express and Optical Express are probably one of the most expensive, Specsavers are one of hte cheapest but I don't know what they charge for the more established brands.

But also don't rule out on-line opticians. I've personally bought a number of pairs from this websites even though i'm in the industry because they are that cheap and use exactly the same lenses as I work with every day.

Specs on the Net is a good one to get you started.

Things have come on a bit then...when I bought mine a couple of years ago I enquired at Specsavers and was told photochromic lenses were not available with varifocals, which was a bit of a pain as I always had this type of lens in my old glasses. Next time I need a new pair of varifocals I'll make further enquiries and look around for someone else to make up the prescription as you advise - Rob

Yes they do become easier,at least for me.
After taking advice on this forum I purchased a pair a couple of months ago and now only need one pair instead of three(driving,middle distance and reading-close work)
Best use in the workshop, where if you put your reading glasses on the bench and then place(or in my case drop) an twelve foot length of 2 by 8 oak on them, they don't work no more.

Hi
I have been wearing varifocal lenses for approx 4 years. From day 1 they have been superb, have not had any problems, would not go back to bi-focal. As others have said frame selection and fitting is very important. In my case I have my eyes tested by the optometrists, but use an optical engineer who supplies and fit the spectacles, perhaps this is why I have not had any problems. My wife had problems from day 1 with hers (she purchased in Cyprus) eventually got used to them after a fashion. When it came to replacement she went to the same route as I had. When the guy saw her existing specs and frames he said they were totally the wrong frames for the varifocal lenses supplied. He made the new specs and fitted them, result no problems whatever, she was use to them within a week or so. Don't give up, as Byron said make sure you have the right person doing the supply and fit.
Cheers Con

Oddly enough this is the subject that I am involved with in Australia (on a voluntry basis).
The research institute in Sydney are doing practical tests and statistics on people over 65 who have fallen in the past 12 months and all citizens over 80 years of age whether using glasses or have or have not fallen recently.
All patients have the option to attend or not has they wish.

Back