Do these fittings even exist?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smart

Chestnut Products
Reaction score
I'm sorry, that's the best subject heading I could give; I don't know what they're called so I can't search for them...
I'll explain...

We're trying to redecorate our bedroom; to give more storage space (which could be dangerous as Mandy will probably proceed to fill it with more clothes!) we're thinking of having some units put in over the bed - you know the type of thing.
What I'd like to do is have a hanging rail over the bed (for hanging clothes on before that gets misconstrued) inside the units. The problem would be that the rail and the clothes on it would be just a bit too high for comfort; I'd just about be able to reach them but I'm sure Mandy wouldn't.
I seem to think that somewhere I've seen some sort of mechanism that makes the rail 'come out' of the unit and lower itself at the same time, making access easier.
Did I imagine it? Has anyone ever seen such a beast? More to the point, does anyone know where I might get one?

Thanks!

Wow, impressive! Thanks guys, good to know I didn't imagine them... they're the sort of thing, I shall investigate them further.
Thanks again.

Terry,

Use what they use in the clothes-stores. A long pole, rather like a window-pole! :wink:

I'll elaborate:-

Get a suitable length of 3/4" dowel.
Clean up and round off the ends.
Put some flats on one end; like a flat screwdriver.
Screw a large cup-hook into one of the flats.
Just sort the garment with the blunt end of the pole.
Engage the cup-hook in the hook of the hanger and take the garment off the rail.
Store the 'pole' in the wardrobe out of sight.

That's how I'd do it, but then I'm a tight-wad, who finds £50.00 better spent on something other than a clutter of hardware in the wardrobe. :D
Regards
John :)

Back