Do I stick my buttons?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Please refrain from the obvious, you in the back boy! :)

I am making a small lamp table in Oak I have two questions
1) I am holding the top on with homemade buttons is it usual to glue the button to the top when screwing it to the top?
2) Given that it's oak and will affect iron screws, does anyone know whether modern cadmium or zinc plated screws are affected unduly?

Cheers Alan
P.S I intend to put this in the projects section I hope the photos are going to come out OK it's my daughters rejected camera I fixed it by banging it on the table, always worked for my mobile phone display
:)

I wouldn't glue them as the lips have been known to break, especially if you forget to orient the grain in the right direction.
Zinc screws will be fine.

Dom

Dom

Thanks fo replying. Do I take it I should orientate the grain on the buttons in the same direction as the top? If so I have to cut another six I thought long grain into the groove would be strongest.

Alan

Grain on the buttons should run from the main body into the lip, otherwise the lips will break off. So no don't make any more, use long grain into the groove.

Back